No announcement yet.

what do people think of kids tv today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what do people think of kids tv today?

I find it rather sinister/saddening that there are no children's shows on Saturday mornings on BBC1 (as far as I know).

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
      I'm sorry, but if you think kids managing to watch The Inbetweeners and it being compared to a show for kids is the same thing then I can't agree.

I also don't agree that there's not as much pre-school programming about nowadays (if that's what you meant - it's hard to tell). Between CBeebies and Channel 5 there's quite a lot (and CITV still does a little bit). Certainly as much as the BBC only output you mentioned.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at in regards to hating one programme but liking another. Is it that you accept that there was (in your opinion) still a lot of rubbish back then, just as there is now? I don't really get what you're arguing about.

In my personal opinion (and that's what it is, only my opinion) the problem is that there isn't as much UK produced TV for older children, but what is there is not too bad (I'm not talking about US cartoons. Now, as then, there's OK stuff and a lot of rubbish). UK pre-school shows are in a much healthier state although there's not really an Oliver Postgate for the 21st century. You may not like Peppa Pig, Roary the Racing Car, Ben & Holly or Jungle Junction but then you're not 4 any more.

The thing is this is a nostalgia board. I like looking back and remembering the TV shows of my youth and I think it's a shame that we don't have half the UK kids TV industry we used to but I also don't subscribe to the idea that back then was all great and now is completely rubbish with everything being ruined by an onslaught of US cartoons and teen comedies. We had plenty of rubbish US cartoons in the '70s and '80s. Take those satellite channels out of the equation and see what's left. Is Tracey Beaker any worse than Rentaghost? Is Sarah Jane worse than The Tomorrow People? I'll cut crummy shows from 35 years ago some slack because of nostalgia and I wish we had the sheer amount of kids' drama output of those times, nowadays, too but just jumping up and shouting that everything's rubbish today? Sorry, I don't subscribe to that.

As Del Boy once said:

'Rodney, you really give my a--e a headache!'

Your disagreeing on anything I'm saying and frankly I'm fed up of it. Everyone else seems to be adding to the thread making comments that others opine on and all your doing is 'not getting' anything I've said and then further criticising it as 'an opinion'. I've re-read what I've typed previously and frankly fail to see what you 'don't get' as its all pretty clear to comprehend. So nit pick someone elses comments. Sorry mods but this guys begining to annoy me.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        going to my younger days watching citv and bbc i actually liked pretty much every show.

what id like to see is a terrestrial channel which would every morning show 3 or 4 hrs of of shows from the secenties and eigties and some from the nineties.

Or even have a digital channel just for kids shows from these 3 decades.
        Sort of like a uk gold channel only with kids shows we watched.

and ill bet kids now would preger them to what they see now.
        That'd be a nice channel. But I wonder if adults would watch it more for nostalgia? However, adults watching would introduce kids to these shows too so it'd be good in that sense.

Scooby Doo's always on. Kids today know who he is, they've had versions of the show since 1969 and what with the film versions and direct to dvd cartoon movies made in recent decades or the newer iterations of the show its a perennial-must admit I have grown tired of it though.

Comment

Originally posted by lk_ie View Post
          I find it rather sinister/saddening that there are no children's shows on Saturday mornings on BBC1 (as far as I know).
          i completely agree mate.
          saturday mornings being the only day that kids would get the chance to watch kids programmes in the morning.
          you would think itv and bbc would cash in on this.

remember what we had going live on bbc for example.
          on itv cd uk etc etc.

channel five and (rte 1 and rte 2) irish channels show kids programmes every morning from around 6am.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

i completely agree mate.
            saturday mornings being the only day that kids would get the chance to watch kids programmes in the morning.

remember what we had going live on bbc for example.
            on itv cd uk etc etc.

channel five and (rte 1 and rte 2) irish channels show kids programmes every morning from around 6am.
            I suppose there's sunday mornings as well unless they all go to church.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
              As Del Boy once said:

'Rodney, you really give my a--e a headache!'

Your disagreeing on anything I'm saying and frankly I'm fed up of it. Everyone else seems to be adding to the thread making comments that others opine on and all your doing is 'not getting' anything I've said and then further criticising it as 'an opinion'. I've re-read what I've typed previously and frankly fail to see what you 'don't get' as its all pretty clear to comprehend. So nit pick someone elses comments. Sorry mods but this guys begining to annoy me.
              I 'get' everything you say but I don't agree with it. Is that simple enough? I don't nit-pick your comments, I gave reasons why I didn't agree with them.

I don't believe that you can compare The Inbetweeners to Grange Hill or any other kids show.
              I don't agree that all kids' TV is rubbish nowadays.

Is that clear enough?

And, frankly, your comment to moderators that I'm beginning to annoy you is rather rude and insulting. My opinion differs to yours and I've stated the reasons why. I was never rude and have never been on all my time on this board which is far longer than yourself. I'll retire from this conversation now.

Comment

i completely agree mate.
                While I miss the days of Swap Show, Going Live etc. kids can watch kids BBC and ITV all day (including Saturday and Sunday) on CBBC, CBeebies and CITV. While they may not be to your or my tastes, they are there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post

I don't believe that you can compare The Inbetweeners to Grange Hill or any other kids show.
                  I totally agree Wil. Grange Hill (aimed at 11-16 year olds) can't be compared to a late night TV show aimed at over 18's. I think that the '18' cert on the Inbetweeners DVD and the 'PG' cert of Grange Hill's DVD release prove that the shows have a completely different content. Yes it's set in a school but its not comparable to Grange Hill.
                  Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                    No its not. Kids these days watch The Inbetweeners. They're more savvy, more adult like and more annoying than ever.
                    Kids should'nt be watching The Inbetweeners! Its a show aimed at young adults! You are comparing this show to other shows aimed at school age children. They are not comparable in my eyes. Grange Hill was shown in a prime kids tv slot and not well after the watershed like The Inbetweeners. I think Grange Hill had a much wider audience too. I must also add SF that your comments claiming Wil is 'nit-picking' are uncalled for and could be considered a bit rude imo. He is only giving his opinion on something that you posted. It's a shame that you seem to dislike being disagreed with.
                    Last edited by stuckinthe80's; 10-07-2011, 09:36.

Comment

Wil has expressed his wish not to continue any further is this side of the conversation,lets respect that and move on please or the thread will be closed.
                      Heather

Comment

Out of everyones comments mine have been the ones Wii's focused on-thats what is annoying-I've been disagreed with on this forum before but out of all the opinions on this thread hes focused more on mine. Also, given that 'kids' these days aren't as innocent as we once were I somehow think they would watch The Inbetweeners. Its an uncensored version of school kids tv shows with more comedy-whether theres a BBFC certificate on a dvd kids usually watch them, whether thats right or wrong morally, its a fact that occurs. Kids under 15 go and see 15 Cert films or download things off the net.

I'm not going to apologise for my comment that Wii annoyed me as frankly he has. First he didn't 'get' what I said, then he now says he does. Kids tv today compared to some of the more imaginative programmes of the past is rather dire and seems to be more marketed towards having off shoot merchandising pre-prepared for it.

Right, thats all I have to say on the matter and I too will cease conversing on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                          Wil has expressed his wish not to continue any further is this side of the conversation,lets respect that and move on please or the thread will be closed.
                          Sorry for agreeing with somebody! I wasn't aware that everyone on this site had to keep their opinions to themselves. I was not continuing his side of a conversation but expressing my OWN opinion. Something that I am free to do, am I not?

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
                            Sorry for agreeing with somebody! I wasn't aware that everyone on this site had to keep their opinions to themselves. I was not continuing his side of a conversation but expressing my OWN opinion. Something that I am free to do, am I not?
                            Sorry I dont see my comment personally addressed to you or any one single member.Also I dont see you quoted...Do you?
                            Heather

Comment

Sorry but since only I had commented after Wil I took it you were directing your comment at me. I didn't say that you quoted me or personally addressed me although it appeared that since only I made further comment such address or quote was not needed. Matter closed. No further opinions will be shared by me on this.

Comment

Getting back on track.

I personally dont think childrens tv of today is any better or worse than back when I was a child. There's some fantastic programmes for kids and some really dire ones,just as back then.
                                Heather

Comment

Working...
                                X