Mr Benn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Benn

Mr. Ben was a smartly dressed business man in a suit and bowler hat who used to vist a magic fancy dress shop.When he went into the back dressing room he always went on an adventure depending on which fancy dress costume he wore.

More...

Re: Mr Benn

Originally posted by www.doyouremember.co.uk View Post
    Mr. Ben was a smartly dressed business man in a suit and bowler hat who used to vist a magic fancy dress shop.When he went into the back dressing room he always went on an adventure depending on which fancy dress costume he wore.

More...
    check this out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9zq8luOjSw
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Mr Benn

Festive Road is an ordinary, terraced street. Neighbours chat over fences and children and dogs play on the pavement. Mr Benn lives at number 52 - we know very little about him except he's always smartly dressed in a black suit and bowler hat. Is he a businessman? Or does he simply enjoy dressing formally for fun? In the very first episode ('Mr Benn - Red Knight') the gentle tone of narrator Ray Brooks tells us that he's been invited to a fancy dress party and needs something to wear....
      More...

Comment

Mr Benn was great........you know children today are missing out on some brilliant prgrammes made in the 60s 70s ............i hope they get the chance to see them on dvds .......there is more to life than than just computer generated graphics

Comment

absolutely agree with you here.
          mr benn is indeed available on dvd.

There where 14 episodes made in total lasting around fifteen minutues.

A new story was published in 2001, the first Mr Benn story that David McKee had written in thirty years, and is called Mr Benn - Gladiator (ISBN 1-84270-024-3). McKee has indicated that he may write more Mr Benn stories in the future.

it was created asnd written by david mckee.

we where really spiled with shows like this shilts.
          hard to berlieve its 1971 when it started.

it was class how he changed into so many costumes.,and they loioked really nice on him.

check the link.
          http://youtu.be/x8JFAqupOqE

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
          Mr Benn was great........you know children today are missing out on some brilliant prgrammes made in the 60s 70s ............i hope they get the chance to see them on dvds .......there is more to life than than just computer generated graphics
          Last edited by darren; 23-08-2012, 14:37.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

There was a Mr Benn live action film starring the tefal headed Scottish bloke from Sliding Doors that never got made. They hit their funding target but after the Magic Roundabout film was released the producers apparently decided that making the film would probably lose everyone's money!
            I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

I often wondered what the shopkeeper thought

This eccentric gentleman comes into his shop at least once a week, goes to the fitting room to try on some clothes & hands the clothes back to the shopkeeper & leaves without buying anything
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Comment

Brilliant

Thanks Clare xx
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

If I remember correctly, it was the shopkeeper who would appear in Mr Benn's adventures to lead him back into the real world at the end of the programme.

Comment

"As if by magic..." has entered the country's consciousness as a catchphrase. Most people who use it probably don't know its origins!
                      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Wasn't 52 Festive Road the real address of author David McKee? I am certain that he used it in the series because of where he lived - a bit like how Sue Townsend made sure that 2nd April was Adrian Mole's birthday because it was the same as her own!

McKee also wrote that children's (and Words and Pictures endorsed) classic Not Now Bernard about a young boy called Bernard who is eaten by a monster and his mother calls the monster Bernard as she hadn't even noticed that he had eaten him!

I often thought that the concept for Stars in their Eyes was influenced by Mr Benn - the fact that ordinary people go into some sort of place and come out as someone special - the similarities are more than apparent in any case.
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                        X