plastic dolls in national dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic dolls in national dress

Did anybody else have a collection of plastic dolls dressed in the stereotypical clothes of different countries? I had a few, although they were always kept in storage and I wasn't allowed to play with them. I'm sure my mam thought that they would eventually become collector's items so they had to be kept safe . They always came in a transparent plastic tube with a lid. Not sure where they came from, I'm guessing gifts from people's travels abroad.
    1976 Vintage

Re: plastic dolls in national dress

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
    Did anybody else have a collection of plastic dolls dressed in the stereotypical clothes of different countries? I had a few, although they were always kept in storage and I wasn't allowed to play with them. I'm sure my mam thought that they would eventually become collector's items so they had to be kept safe . They always came in a transparent plastic tube with a lid. Not sure where they came from, I'm guessing gifts from people's travels abroad.
    I did not have any myself lol.

but have you still got them tricky.
    always though you where a man.

i do remember them though.
    check this out
    http://www.nationalcostumedolls.com/
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I had a few welsh dolls like that, they ere a bit smaller than a barbie .

These have been mentioned on the forum before my time here but sadly no one knew what they were called https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...ight=countries

Were yours the slightly bigger plastic ones like mine or like those mentioned in the link?
      Heather

Comment

Great Link Darren.
        Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
          Great Link Darren.
          no probs heather.
          here is another.
          http://russian-crafts.com/russian-dolls.html
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My sister had some, seem to remember a scottish one and a scandanavian one
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Yes my aunt gave me a spanish lady (not the usual Flamenco Dancer) but she had a black dress and a white lace head dress and a little gold crucifix and she was in a plastic tube too. I still have her somewhere. Our local pub had loads of them round the top of the bar, the popular one from the early seventies was the cutesy girl dressed like a Scottish Piper?

I did have quite a few wooden bodied dolls too (at this point I must state that I liked Action Man better!) but people just bought them for me! I called them Peggy Dolls, and they were nicely but simply dressed in printed cotton, with red painted clog shoes and fully jointed.

Comment

I remember pulling one of my welsh dolls out to play with once, but the clothes were only loosely pinned on, and she even had pins in her head to keep her hat and hair on.

Not really safe for playing with
                Heather

Comment

Heather, from what I can remember, these Welsh Dolls were sold in Wales in gift shops and you bought them on your holidays, I had one in about 1974.

They had painted black hair and a pretty face and dainty plastic hands? with the Welsh national costume, broad felt black hat etc?

Comment

yes those are the ones, just having a look at a few on Ebay now

Heather

Comment

Just the ones I was thinking of too!

More decorative than a toy aren't they?

Comment

Thats for sure, I spoilt the one I opened, I could not pin the clothes back as neatly no matter how I tried.
                        Heather

Comment

One of my Aunts had a few, which were left at my Gran's for years.

They made have gone in a house clearance.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Here's another Welsh doll - this one is called Anwen - not sure if it's ever been out of the tube though.

Comment

My daughter plays with a few of these at her Grandads house (they used to be my wifes) and they are beginning to look pretty tatty I can tell you, we did however go to Spain last year and my daughter wouldn't come away without a flamenco lady doll.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X