Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supermarket pricing stickers

Default Re: Supermarket pricing stickers

I think price labels stopped being used by the supermarket chains because most products started to have bar codes on the packaging, & when prices changed it was easier to change the shelf labels & update the tills to read the new price.

One independent discount shop near me still uses them.
    The Trickster On The Roof

When I was a kid, I would go to the supermarket with Dad, Saturday mornings

He would swap price stickers between expensive & cheaper items

So, say, a pack of mince meat & a bottle of detergent

The trick was to swap stickers with say 50p & 10p so as not to be too obvious

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

When i started a 30 year career at the kworrrp (co-op) the stickers were applied one at a time by rolling a strip of stickers between the index finger and thumb, when pricing guns were introduced it was like a gift from the gods
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I think price labels stopped being used by the supermarket chains because most products started to have bar codes on the packaging, & when prices changed it was easier to change the shelf labels & update the tills to read the new price.

One independent discount shop near me still uses them.
    I thought that it was for the benefit of the customer, so that they didn't have to go to a member of staff and ask, "excuse me, how much is this?"

Even then, barcodes were on certainly already packaging in the days when pricing stickers were used.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

When ITV 3 started to show Coronation Street a couple of years ago, there was an episode where Audrey mispriced jars of HP Sauce as being 14p instead of 41p - she must have got the numbers the wrong way round. I thought to myself that shops don't do that anymore.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

My family ran a green grocers for years, not a chain, but we had some products that needed the price stickers and we had a price gun with a supply of rolls of the stickers, they might even be in a box someplace since we closed up shop for good fairly recently. Sometimes the wholesaler would only have stickers that said 'grocery' on them and we'd use those. I remember setting and sticking the stickers with the trigger on such things as bird seed bells, plastic pots and saucers, gardening gloves, bags of soil... we never used them on say apples or flowers which we also sold. Those UPC price codes and checkout scanners are why you don't see stickers outside of wee shops like ours was.

There were very plain stickers once, I remember some plain circles of different colours you could write a price on by hand, but later they'd have little cuts in them... this was to make it harder for dishonest people to take one off of a cheaper item and place it on a more expensive one! They were meant to be a pain to remove. So if you got one on your magazine or comic you had to be careful with removing it, not rush, or you might deface it somewhat (those who cared about that), but then it was even worse with those free gifts taped to the comic paper, especially if the paper stock was very plain! I still have some Dr. Who fanzines with price stickers on them that I've been afraid to try and remove.
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles