Supermarket pricing stickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supermarket pricing stickers

While on Flickr I came across images of price stickers from defunct and still running supermarkets, thought this would be of interest to anyone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blitzkriegbob/

Just like to add I have three Tesco stickers in my CD collection possibly from the 80s and one WH Smith sticker on one of my record covers.

Re: Supermarket pricing stickers

When I was a child in the late '70s, I used to collect pricing stickers. We would shop (mainly) at the International supermarket and I would raid the food cupboard for the price labels which I used to stick on my wardrobe door. I amassed quite a collection in the end, but it ended when we moved house at the start of the '80s, and we shopped at a Co-op. The stickers they used came in 3 parts if you peeled them off the packets, and it was too much effort to re-assemble them. I think I had a fascination with numbers. The things you do when you're young!
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I remember Fine Fair used to do the odd thing of having a product number rather than a price on it's labels.

The cashier would key in the code into the till, so it was a step toward barcode scanners.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Does anyone else remember the 'Delamere' price labels Tesco used to have on their household goods like pinter glassware?

Comment

If my memory serves me right, the Tesco DELAMARE crest was a kind of crown with three balls on the points of the crown? And was it pale blue background and dark blue logo?

A bit like the Rolex watch crest?

Comment

Never knew that, I've got old pinters, and a couple of halfers, you know, the old indented patterned glass with handle for, well...pints of lager or bitter etc lol, but anyway, the price stickers are still on the bottom of some and its simply 'Delamare' in blue on a white sticker with the price under it, no crest....the pinters were 20p! Sturdy thick glass and heavy....shows how price increases and value of what money buys decreases over the years eh?

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
              Never knew that, I've got old pinters, and a couple of halfers, you know, the old indented patterned glass with handle for, well...pints of lager or bitter etc lol, but anyway, the price stickers are still on the bottom of some and its simply 'Delamare' in blue on a white sticker with the price under it, no crest....the pinters were 20p! Sturdy thick glass and heavy....shows how price increases and value of what money buys decreases over the years eh?
              I used to have a couple of those pinters.Not sure where they are now.I don't think anyone sells them anymore?Shame :-(
              sigpic

Comment

i didnt know Nisa was around in the 80's...?
                a local store just gone up around my place..

reminds me of all the out of date tins my nan had in her "pantry"
                :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jrewing View Post
                  i didnt know Nisa was around in the 80's...?
                  a local store just gone up around my place..

reminds me of all the out of date tins my nan had in her "pantry"
                  :-)
                  I think Nisa are a regional chain that has expanded, there's none near me but I remember using one on holiday in Norfolk in the 1980s.

Comment

I was thinking about price stickers just now, and the assistant using their pricing gun - we don't see that anymore, I wonder why? Health and Safety reasons, perhaps?

When did supermarkets stop using them - early 1990s, perhaps? I suppose they stopped because customers hated the fact that they couldn't get them off and that they left a sticky residue on their hands.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I think price labels stopped being used by the supermarket chains because most products started to have bar codes on the packaging, & when prices changed it was easier to change the shelf labels & update the tills to read the new price.

One independent discount shop near me still uses them.

Comment

When I was a kid, I would go to the supermarket with Dad, Saturday mornings

He would swap price stickers between expensive & cheaper items

So, say, a pack of mince meat & a bottle of detergent

The trick was to swap stickers with say 50p & 10p so as not to be too obvious

sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

When i started a 30 year career at the kworrrp (co-op) the stickers were applied one at a time by rolling a strip of stickers between the index finger and thumb, when pricing guns were introduced it was like a gift from the gods
                          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            I think price labels stopped being used by the supermarket chains because most products started to have bar codes on the packaging, & when prices changed it was easier to change the shelf labels & update the tills to read the new price.

One independent discount shop near me still uses them.
                            I thought that it was for the benefit of the customer, so that they didn't have to go to a member of staff and ask, "excuse me, how much is this?"

Even then, barcodes were on certainly already packaging in the days when pricing stickers were used.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

When ITV 3 started to show Coronation Street a couple of years ago, there was an episode where Audrey mispriced jars of HP Sauce as being 14p instead of 41p - she must have got the numbers the wrong way round. I thought to myself that shops don't do that anymore.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X