1970's Glam Rock Film: The Phantom Of The Paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970's Glam Rock Film: The Phantom Of The Paradise

OK, Have done a search, and, decided to mention this quirky Musical Glam Rock Film!

Directed by Brian De Palma in possibly 1974 - The Hero (if you can call him that) is named Winslow Leach and is a musical composer looking for a producer for his songs. He starts off all innocent, but during his search for a leading lady (Phoenix - real name Jessica Harper) he sells his soul to the Devil (an evil record producer called Swan - real name Paul Williams)

Very Glam Rock, Very freaky, Horrific in places, very 1970's and some quite good songs in there............

Groundbreaking really.....................

Re: 1970's Glam Rock Film: The Phantom Of The Paradise

There's still quite a following for Phantom of the Paradise and it's a good fun watch but I'm not sure it's my idea of glam as we had it in the UK (in the same way I don't consider Rocky Horror glam). Are there really any real British 'glam' films? Ok, we had the fantastic Slade in Flame and the so incredibly bad it's great Never Too Young To Rock but are there any others?

Comment

Tommy?

Comment

I caught this film in the early hours a good few years back and was totally confused and entertained in equal measure! It always stuck in the back of my mind for many years until last year when I came across a picture of the Phantom character and I was then reminded of the title. I actually found myself reading up on the film and almost found myself late for work in doing so!

Phantom Of The Paradise apparently had massive success in one particular area, I think it was Canada, even today the film has this legendary following there. Unfortunately though, a remake is in the works so expect nothing but bad things from that.

Comment

Working...
        X