'Observers' Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Observers' Books

These were small, pocket sized hardback books with what seemed like hundred of subjects to choose from. No surprise really as they were produced from 1937 - 2003 (by Frederick Warne & Co in the UK)The books were about a huge variety of topics from hobbies, art, history and wildlife. The title of the books came because they wanted to be of interest to the "observer" - people who were lookng out and curious about life (hence they were popular amongst children).Now-a-days most of these books are collector's items. The values of the books can vary from 50 pence to hundreds of pounds. So it might be a good time to go and start rummaging in the loft!In 1983 Warne was acquired by Penguin books. Warne bought out new editions of the Observer's books that were slightly bigger than the original books, and were in paperback, not hardback.

More...

Re: 'Observers' Books

these are highly collectable, my step father used to collect them, some of them had different covers over the years and the rarer ones go for a lot of money.

The were to publish one on country houses which included the blueprints and layouts but they were recalled before any were published due to the books getting into the wrong hands and thieves getting into the properties.
    MOLE MOLE GO BACK TO YOUR HOLE - GRUNDA GRUNDA

Comment

Re: 'Observers' Books

My Dad has 1-2 of these around, certainly he has the one on astronomy.

For years I assumed they were published by the sunday paper of the same name.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
      X