choc ices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choc ices

I can't be the only one who didn't really like choc ices. Nannas up and down the country had freezer boxes full of them. Always supermarket own brand and about 50 in a box, tasteless ice cream and fake chocolate. There was no escaping them.
    1976 Vintage

Re: choc ices

I too didn't like own brand choc ices, I remember the chocolate on the outside gradually got thinner and thinner over the years and eventually was practically transparent, I think they may have improved now but I've not had one for years.
    Going off on a bit of a tangent, one choc ice I really did like was Midnight Mint - I'm certain it was mint ice cream with coconut bits in, coated in dark chocolate. Don't know whether it was made by Lyons Maid or Walls.

Comment

Heather

Comment

I never took to choc ices really either, my granny always used to make me ice creams with some "block" ice cream between two wafers. Not sure if you can still buy it but the ice cream was in a card board box just the right size for the wafers

Comment

Thanks for the Midnight Mint choc ice pics. I can't see where it says they had coconut in but I'm sure they did - well if it wasn't coconut I suppose it might have been mint bits but it definitely had bits in!! I remember the Jamaica ones too but I didn't like them.

Comment

My nanna used to get the block ice cream in the cardboard box too. Walls cornish or something it was, very yellow in colour and sometimes Walls Neopolitan.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember the bright yellow 'Cornish' block and also a 'raspberry ripple' one. Neapolitan was always my favourite though!
              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I remember my Mum getting blocks of ice cream once or twice, there were some ice cream cones that the sections would fit into.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

One of the things I remember about the Wall's choc ices available from ice cream vans and kiosks was the paper wrappers that you only really see small packs of butter in these days. They were gold for milk chocolate, and black for dark - similar to the colour scheme on the choc ices pictured a few posts up, only with more basic graphics.
                  "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Oh i love these tricky.
                    not had one in a long time but how i used to go thrugh these probably 2 or 3 at least per week.

not too sure if i ever had those mint one pictured below though.
                    sometimes the parents would buy a pack of them and i d most of them.

but never even heard of rum and raisin flavour.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Midnight Mint ad:

http://www.yourbizvids.com/view_vide...72209342e62e8f

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mint.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	260192

Comment

In the 80s we had a freezer centre in our town which sold very cheap food. They had those no-brand choc ices and those were the ones my mum bought. No, they were nowhere near as tasty as well-known brands, but I didn't mind too much. Nowadays, it is Aldi, Lidl or similar that we get.

Comment

Working...
                          X