Fish 'n' chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish 'n' chips

I don't know about you lot, but it's very hard, where I live, to get a decent bit of Fish and Chips like it used to be.

Most of our Fish Shops double up as Chinese Takeaways ,nothing wrong with that if you fancy a chinese takeaway. The only fish they serve up they call "Fish" LOL. What happened to Cod, Haddock, Skate, and Plaice? Who knows what it is they are serving?

Mind you, nothing is the same anymore!! Sometimes, I just fancy a nice bit of fish and chips like I used to have as kid every Friday night.

Is this happening everywhere or just where I live?
    sigpic

Re: Fish 'n' Chips

We have two really nice Fish and Chip shops both within 10 minutes walking distance, and they both do Cod, Haddock and Place, not sure about Skate though will check that one
    Dont really remember us having Take Aways when I was younger, but 5 kids and two adults I guess it would have cost a bomb!
    Nothing tastes nicer than Fish and Chip from Seaside Towns, dont know if it's phychological plus the fact sea air makes you hungry but it always seems so much fresher to me!
    Heather

Comment

Oh definately... you can't beat a nice bit of fish and chips from the seaside.... perhaps I need to move! LOL
      sigpic

Comment

As a seaside dweller, there are some good fish & Chip places here, but there are some **** ones too..most of the seafront ones are good, but the backstreet combined Chinese/Chippie are rubbish. Fish for me tonight

Comment

At one time fish 'n' chips from the chippy was a special treat as they were so much better than home made, now home made are quite often better than the chippy.
          sigpic I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!

Comment

Ah yes Cod and Chips in the 70's wrapped in newspaper and accompanied with some strawberry Cresta.

I keep meaning to have a go at recreating cresta using some strawberryade and ice cream....or maybe milk might work better...I'll let you know

Comment

Ah yes, the newspaper wrapping! I doubt anyone would get away with that these days. My mate once ate 3 pickled eggs in a row, which is pretty damn difficult. That was after one trip to the chipshop at the top of our old street - best in the town, although we did like to soak our chips with vinegar until it was literally dripping out the bottom. Yuk.

Comment

we're very lucky in that we have 3 chippies in the village still (its a BIG village!)..1 in particular is fab...never get any manky/bad chips

Doncaster itself has numerous chippies....but Rothwells ALWAYS has a big queue right out the door! (they cook chips with added beef fat/dripping I believe, and the taste is superb)

agree that seaside fish&chips are great (my best EVER bag were from one down a side street in Mablethorpe)...there's also a fab one on the front at Cleethorpes

Dave
                sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I obviously do need to move!! LOL We don't have anything decent here as far as takeaways are concerned!
                  sigpic

Comment

Over here, the Fish'n'Chip shops sell all manner of seafood (cod, bream, snapper, mullet, flake, shrimp etc the list goes on) and you can have your fish battered, crumbed or grilled. I'm not much of a seafood fan so only have cod'n'chips. The other problem is that there are no pickled eggs and they don't have fruit machines!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaeo View Post
                      Ah yes, the newspaper wrapping! I doubt anyone would get away with that these days. My mate once ate 3 pickled eggs in a row, which is pretty damn difficult. That was after one trip to the chipshop at the top of our old street - best in the town, although we did like to soak our chips with vinegar until it was literally dripping out the bottom. Yuk.

Don't quote me but i think it's actually illegal to serve in newspaper now. Seaside fish and chips are fantastic. Great Yarmouth has a couple which are out of this world.

Comment

good topic Karen i also love fish & chips.. i travelled around the coasts of the UK and was quite surprised the toot they served in many of the fish & chip shops.. i just dont know how they get away with some of the portion-to cost ratios.

i live in braintree which is not near the coast but luckily there is a great chip shop there, turkish owned 'Manor Plaice' but traditional fish & chips (no kebabs) its probably the only place where you can go where your eyes can still widen with surprise at how large their large cod is and that's good fish with chips for under a fiver great value.. the portion is sooo big that my partner and i share one portion.. u cant go wrong...

I personally dont like the skin on my fish, so don't be afraid to ask for a skinless fish and they will generally prepare a fresh one for you and you can just eat the whole thing without messing around!

Near the beach the best one i know is at clacton in town next to peacocks.. they also do really nice cod, reasonable portion, skinless at request and you can go and eat on the beach.. mmMMmm!

all the best everyone !

Comment

Originally posted by RiJoJo View Post
                          Ah yes Cod and Chips in the 70's wrapped in newspaper and accompanied with some strawberry Cresta.

I keep meaning to have a go at recreating cresta using some strawberryade and ice cream....or maybe milk might work better...I'll let you know

Maybe raspberry rippleade from morrisons with cream soda?
                          One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

There used to be a good one in Harwich but now mum swears by Reg's Great Clacton or Gio's in Clacton-on-Sea.
                            I don't like the fish but the pickled onions and giant wallies were the highlight when we had them at home.

When I saw this thread title I thought it was going to be about
                            they were disgusting, I remember the newspaper style bags, however when looking for a picture of that I found these instead
                            Yummy.
                            One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

i liked fish'n'chip crisps!

ps suzanne: what's a 'wallie' ??
                              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Working...
                              X