Arts and Craft toys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arts and Craft toys

I cant be alone loving these sorts of toys as a kid?
    Among my favourites were a Raffia kit and a simple sewing kit where you made a wallet,scissor holder,book mark etc

I also remember a basket weaving kit and a knitting loom. Hours of fun with something to keep at the end.
    Another past time was scrap booking with old greetings card, Catalogue pages, flour paste glue and these amazing scissors my Nan had with created zig zags rather than a straight edge.
    Heather

Re: Arts and Craft toys

I didn't have the kits myself but I remember doing the basket weaving from a kit at school. It was great fun.

Mum had a pair of those funny scissors too. Pinking shears. I remember the name because I thought it was funny.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's the raffia kit I had too or something extremely similar.

I remember making a wonky raffia basket at school. My mum used it instead of a fruit bowl. I also wove the handles for a melamine teatime tray that had a picture of those Parisien looking children painted on it, you know, the ones with big eyes.
      "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

What fab pictures! I'd forgotten all about the rafia set I had as a child. It was just like the one in the pic. It's such a shame they're not about now. I loved anything crafty as a child and still do now I'm an aging adult.
        I also remember dad knocking 4 small nails in to a 'wooden cotton reel' (don't get wooden ones now although I still have a few in my sewing box) and I used it for 'french knitting' the knitting grew like a round tail through the middle of the reel and then you could slip stitch the long strand together in rounds or zigzags to make things. I think they're known as 'doll' knitting sets now and they're made of plastic.

Another thing I had was pieces or card board with pictures on and holes in and you stitched the pattern with wool to make a shape of e.g. a boat sailing on the sea.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	sew card.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	259820

I used to love the sewing cards like these and the french knitting kits.
          sigpic
          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

The bottom one was also called Leatherette I think
            One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

Please put me out of my misery, I am looking for a picture of a white plastic man? wearing a welsh lady style hat. It contained a knitting kit I think and left you with a water bottle sized handbag thing.
              One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

The only few that stick in the mind that I had are make a bean bag one where you made a lion face bean bag.We also done the same in primary school.Another one was painting and varnishing cork table mats with the designs of cute simple animals faces.There was also the plaster cast dinosaurs and horror kits.All were 70's.
                My sister used to like sewing a lot so ended up with various sewing craft kits and also had a bead work one which she never got on with.It was based on american indian beadwork.I am sure that we also had certain clay based kits as kids as well as the weaving types.

Comment

Working...
                X