Were you a BBC house or an ITV house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were you a BBC house or an ITV house?

I think most families in the 70s tended to have one or the other on most of the time. We were definitely ITV through the 70s and up to mid 80s. Kids programmes I remember were 'Tomorrow People', 'Come Back Lucy', 'Magpie'. I don't think I ever saw Blue Peter.

Same with comedies. I remember stuff like George and Mildred being on, but never It Aint Half Hot Mum. Saturday nights were definitely ITV all the way, like 3-2-1 and New Faces, also The Professionals, and into the 80s 'Game For A Laugh', 'Just Amazing', 'Magnum' and the mighty 'TJ Hooker'. ("We've been looking at your record Hooker, it's pretty impressive." "Why the f am I still a sergeant at 55 then?")

I don't think I'd have been seen dead watching Generation Game or any of Noel Edmonds' programmes.

Even sport, it was 'World of Sport', and Dickie Davies and Brian Moore for the Cup Final. The only BBC programme I truly remember loving was Jeux Sans Frontieres (note, Jeux Sans Frontieres, NOT It's a Knockout!)

Don't ask me about the 90s, I never watched TV in the 90s ha ha!

So, BBC or ITV?

Re: Were you a BBC house or an ITV house?

I've had a good think about this one, and our family was pretty much 50/50. Though on weekday tea times in the early to mid 70s, it would have been ITV with all those great kids dramas and sci-fi shows.

Comment

I'm pretty sure we watched more ITV than BBC too.
      Heather

Comment

My family normally watched BBC 1 in the evenings unless there was something on the other channels we wanted to see, normally things like The Krypton Factor, Poirot, Jeeves & Wooster, Ruth Rendall, Prime Suspect, Heartbeat, London's Burning etc.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

i think we were mostly bbc in our house but i used to watch itv when my fave shows came on
          MOLE MOLE GO BACK TO YOUR HOLE - GRUNDA GRUNDA

Comment

More ITV in the 70's and 80's in my house hold.

Comment

I think largely BBC over ITV, but not exclusively, I remember watching 'Game For A Laugh' a lot (even though it was sh*%!), and the much better 'Knight Rider', and when 'Number 73' began, I think I watched that more often than 'Saturday Superstore'. I preferred the Beeb's sitcoms and children's programmes mainly though.
              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
                I think largely BBC over ITV, but not exclusively, I remember watching 'Game For A Laugh' a lot (even though it was sh*%!), and the much better 'Knight Rider', and when 'Number 73' began, I think I watched that more often than 'Saturday Superstore'. I preferred the Beeb's sitcoms and children's programmes mainly though.
                Superstore was total rubbish, Mike Read was so irritating. Number 73 was much cooler, I still see 'Ethel' on tv and not Sandi Toskvig.
                'Game For A Laugh' was kind of hypnotic. I'm sure they were beaming some kind of thought waves to paralyse the nation into watching it. I had a strange fascination at the time with Sarah Kennedy, which even now I'm at a loss to explain, except possibly it was the sexy posh voice. Poor girl hasn't worn well, we could discuss why but we'd get closed down.

I think Matthew Kelly was on crutches for about a year.

Jeremy Beadle was cleverer than all of them put together. I met him once at a satellite tv show at G-Mex and he was sharp as a tack. RIP, he was a nice guy, dunno why he was hated.

Henry's real moment of glory was, of course, Going For Gold.

Comment

I'd say 50/50. Depended what was on.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

for me it was pretty even between the two.
                    for example id watch rainbow then popeye.
                    dangermouse then dastardly and muttley.
                    knightmare which was on a friday the last programme they showed on a friday.
                    then a bit of grange hill.

i just wish citv would come back,why did they axe it.
                    it was a huge part of life for most of us here.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

i just wish citv would come back,why did they axe it.
                      it was a huge part of life for most of us here.
                      Its a television channel in it's own right now as is CBBC.
                      Heather

Comment

One problem CITV had on ITV1 was restrictions on the number of ads that could be shown.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Jeremy Beadle was cleverer than all of them put together. I met him once at a satellite tv show at G-Mex and he was sharp as a tack. RIP, he was a nice guy, dunno why he was hated.

I am glad I am not the only one that liked Jeremy Beadle. I think his image came across as smug, but he was really decent bloke in real life. He did huge amounts of work with charities outwith his TV work. I remember watching the tribute to him just after he died and was moved to tears. Sharp as a tack and very quick witted, very similar to Bob Monkhouse who many people also dispised( I also think Bob was great to)

Comment

I'm Pretty certain we were an ITV household through the 70's. Certainly I prefered their childrens programmes to the BBC's on the whole. Saturdays being the exception because Doctor Who was on then (although i have to confess to abandoning it for much of Tom Bakers last series because I felt it had got too silly and preferred Buck Rodgers on ITV at the time.) ITV just seemed to have better kids shows. King of the Castle, Sky, Tomorrow People - stuff like that.

Comment

Id say it was an even mix of the two for me
                              dr who on bbc 1 then blockbusters on itv. Etc etc.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X