Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you got wrong when you were a kid..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you got wrong when you were a kid..

Applying children's logic.

For example, I heard about a tennis player called 'Billy Jean King', then I saw her name on the scoreboard at Wimbledon as 'Mrs L W King'. I decided I must have heard the name wrong and she was actually called Lilly Wean King.

In about 1977, England were to play Luxembourg in a World Cup qualifier. I didn't know Luxembourg was a country, I just knew it as a radio station my sister always listened to, so I thought Kevin Keegan and co were up against the DJs like Rob Jones and Tony Prince.

Re: Things you got wrong when you were a kid..

I used to think Frog Spawn was written down as Frogs Born. Also, the theme tune to the Transformers cartoon - the line which reads "robots in disguise" I heard this as Robots in da Skies.

Comment

Ooh, I could probably give you hundreds of examples from me - and some from more recent years, too. Things I got RIGHT as a kid - that list would be shorter!

But here's one example.

I thought the jockey Lester Piggott was a horse.
      The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

I thought going to Grammar School was going to be like University Challenge. I thought you sat at a long table with a buzzer/bell and answered questions. I also thought they were set out like bunk beds and you had to climb a ladder if you were on the top desk.

TV has a lot to answer for...
        "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I remember my sister in law's kids had a game called "Simon Says". When we visited with our kids, they loved to play this game as we didn't have it at home. One time my youngest son found the game and wanted to play but the batteries were flat. My sister in law explained that the batteries had "run out". When his brother also wanted to play the game, my youngest explained that they couldn't because the batteries had "growed legs and run off"!
          The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

When I was young my mum often collected up old foil for a blind charity.

I assumed Braille books were made using the old foil.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

These are great. I remembered another one, I thought the pension was a charge that old people had to pay for living so long. I heard on the budget that pensions were going up, and ask my mum 'will nanna be able to afford it?' and couldn't understand why my mum was laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by stockportyears View Post
                These are great. I remembered another one, I thought the pension was a charge that old people had to pay for living so long. I heard on the budget that pensions were going up, and ask my mum 'will nanna be able to afford it?' and couldn't understand why my mum was laughing.
                Don't let the government hear you say that, they'll be wanting to introduce it...

I remember my mum telling me I couldn't go into the dining room because my older brother (by 9 years) was "doing revision". I thought revision was another subject like history or geography.

We used to collect silver foil "for the guide dogs". Then one day my daughter asked me had we got enough to get a puppy yet?

Comment

Here's another one from me, but don't let me dominate this thread too much.

When I was about six, our teacher read us a story which contained the line:

"The burglar had climbed in through the window and gone down the drainpipe."

That had me puzzled for a while. I could only conclude it must have been a very small burglar.
                  The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

@ Marillion

Comment

I remember seeing something on the news about a conflict involving guerillas, & assumed that some large primates were on the rampage.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        I remember seeing something on the news about a conflict involving guerillas, & assumed that some large primates were on the rampage.
                        Ha ha, I had the same confusion! Also the word 'pickets' confused me. I really had no idea what kind of people these might be, and why they went by such an odd name.

Comment

I'm coming over as such an idiot on this thread but hey ho...

I wondered why a circus was on so late at night and why I wasn't allowed to stay up and watch it. (Monty Python...)

Comment

I thought New Zealand was a planet. I thought it was like another moon but we couldn't see it because it was on the other side of the world.

I thought tadpoles were tatpoles, and also thought Transformers were 'robots in de skies'.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

When I first heard about people being 'Fired' from their jobs, I thought that meant that the bosses shot them!

- That would make 'The Apprentice' a bit more exciting!.....and dangerous!.......and illegal.
                              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Working...
                              X