Communist Radio Tirana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communist Radio Tirana

Anyone remember this? It used to have a very strong AM signal that, in October - March when we were on GMT, sometimes used to drown out Radio One during the chart show on Sunday night. (pre-1978 frequency change).

They had people reading out facts about tractor production, condemning the evils of American imperialism, and worst of all, that really scary trumpet fanfare that comes on at the end of this clip. This gives me the chills even now, cause at the time we all thought they wanted to drop nuclear bombs on us anyway.

Re: Communist Radio Tirana

Radio Tirana was a shortwave broadcaster as well. I remember that on many occasions when starting broadcasts on a shared frequency Tirana would often be, shall we say, rather "quick off the mark" at firing up its transmitter, putting its fanfare identification over the closedown sequence of the previous occupier of the frequency. Perhaps not surprisingly, I recall that stomping over the end of VOA (Voice Of America) transmissions was a favourite trick.

Comment

I remember having a stereo that, when I wasn't playing music on, would pick up radio Moscow late afternoons/early evenings. Damn thing was only a turntable, didn't even have a tuner.

Comment

The song is the Internationale, which was the international communist anthem. The most iconic version of the song is that by the Radio Moscow Chorus which is heard in the film Reds.

Comment

Working...
        X