Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The microwave

Originally posted by sandie76 View Post
    We never had a MW when they first came out, but did get one when we got a fitted kitchen in 1988. I was a massive brown one with a keypad and digital display. It lasted around 14 years, as my Dad gave it to me when I moved out but I had no room for it, so gave it to my bf's Mum who used it for a while.

14 yrs thats a long time for it to last sandie.
    but was it used every day.
    the better it was kept and the less it was used the longer it would last.

did it have the grill in it.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

Yeah it was pretty much used everyday darren, guess my Mum just looked after it well. I don't think it had a grill, wasn't as fancy as that.
      Last edited by sandie76; 09-02-2011, 00:23. Reason: sp

Comment

My sister has a microwave oven she bought in 1987/88 and it is still working! She uses it most days. I will check and find out the model number.

Comment

Originally posted by lk_ie View Post
          My sister has a microwave oven she bought in 1987/88 and it is still working! She uses it most days. I will check and find out the model number.
          could you find out what make it is as well.

a 23 year old microwave its older that any kids you or your siater have if you have any.

Comment

could you find out what make it is as well.

a 23 year old microwave its older that any kids you or your siater have if you have any.
            Not quite, my sister has a son who is few years older than the microwave. I think the microwave is a Sanyo, I took a quick glance at it today, must take a longer look and get the details. Btw my sister used the microwave oven today to heat some food for me.

Comment

It is a Sanyo, here is a pic of it(please excuse the rather low resolution and various tat surrounding it)
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	259977

Comment

My first encounter with a microwave was in about 1981-82 when we had a lovely brown Hygena fitted kitchen from MFI, dont remember the make, might have been a Phillips.
                I remember it had buttons for power/defrost ETC but the timer was a twist dial and was as loud as the fan and turntable motor.
                My parents were a bit on the technophobe side, the MW came with with the kitchen, i doubt they would have bought it intentionally back then.
                I can recall as a young un' been told to wait for 5 seconds after it went "ping" to make sure all the "microwaves" had faded away, my father was so worried about "leaking" microwaves that he actually acquired a MW radiation detector to check it regularly, fortunately he got over his aversion and its still stashed up in the loft to this day.
                I have to say that i only use a MW these days for warming up my coffee if i've left it to go lukewarm or heating up the odd Morrison's bakery pie.

Comment

When I first saw a microwave back in the very early 80's it seemed to be something of a miracle.Then the scares started to circulate about the micro waves excaping from them.Many people did get worried about this.My parants were.Parants have had several microwaves cookers since and the going joke is "HOW WELL DO YOU WANT YOUR FOOD NUKED",or"NO THANK'S I DON'T LIKE NUKED FOOD",or simply"JUST NUKE IT THEN SHOOT IT"as a reference to shooting it down your throat(Micowave food always seemed a poor second in look texture and flavour compared to oven cooked food so the quicker you ate it the less you had to taste it).One still sits in the corner of their kitchen rarely used.I have never owned one as it's just as easy to warm things up in the oven.It's probably just me but oven cooked meals always seem to taste better as well.

Comment

My parents still have their original microwave. They bought it in the late 80s. It still works fine you just have to guess where some of the numbers are. I remember when we moved house and had to wait a week before the oven was fitted. We had microwaved meals everyday that week and loved it as kids. I used to love McCain's micro chips. It was also pancake day and my Mum made us pancakes on the sandwich toaster.

Comment

I recall Microwaves first being popular really well, though i'm not too certain I can recall if people made a fuss about them like they did with Video Machine's. I can one of the most memorable thing's about Microwaves - before Cappuchinos and other differing Coffees became popular recently, that in the 1980s/1990s we used to make a Milky Coffee in the Microwave and it would take up a pint of Milk nearly!

My Microwave I have is now in it's 3rd generation of our family, it was new around 1987/1988 and ever since then it's been no bother at all to other members of the family including me. It really will be an extremley sad day indeed for me, when it finaly can do it's job's no more.

80sChav

Comment

I can remember microwaves seemed to get more & more popular during thr course of the 1980s. One selling point was how the could cut down cooking times.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

hey mate.
                          just how often is it used per week. from its early days to now.

the last one i had was a few yrs back abnd i had it many yrs.
                          i used it like every day near enough.

one of the best ever inventions.
                          one problem they have is the paintwork goes inside them which is very dangerous.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                          I recall Microwaves first being popular really well, though i'm not too certain I can recall if people made a fuss about them like they did with Video Machine's. I can one of the most memorable thing's about Microwaves - before Cappuchinos and other differing Coffees became popular recently, that in the 1980s/1990s we used to make a Milky Coffee in the Microwave and it would take up a pint of Milk nearly!

My Microwave I have is now in it's 3rd generation of our family, it was new around 1987/1988 and ever since then it's been no bother at all to other members of the family including me. It really will be an extremley sad day indeed for me, when it finaly can do it's job's no more.

80sChav

Comment

My parents bought a Sharp Carousel micro in 1984 when MW ovens were becoming popular and affordable. It lasted for at least 12 years then it got given to my Nan. I remember it had 2 dials for the cooking time and power settings and made a loud 'DIIIINGGGGGG!!' when the food was ready. It couldn't cook and brown potato waffles though.....

Comment

I've convinced one of my daughters that the microwave is just a useless plastic box that doesn't really work. It only works by the mind, you're convinced it works, expecting stuff to come out hot etc so the mind can convince itself that it's eating hot stuff after it's been in the plastic box. (Like the way the teenage mind can convince itself it has been entertained after watching TV on a Saturday night)

Comment

Very handy inventions our first one a sanyo lasted for 15 years,the sharp one which we still have is 13.We do need to replace it as the inside bottom of the glass is rusting

Comment

Working...
                                X