The microwave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The microwave

In the late sixties there was a shop in Leeds called the Magic Box. You bought your food and cooked it in a microwave (although at the time I didn't know that's what it was). Strange thing is, there's a trend away from using them nowadays as they destroy most of the nutrients in the food. But I must admit they are handy.

Comment

The very first commercially marketed microwave oven actually went on sale in the U.S. as long ago as 1949. It was made by Raytheon, a company associated over the years with all manner of microwave communications equipment, radar, and similar technology. But that 1949 microwave oven was about the size of a small refrigerator and, if I recall correctly, had a price tag of around $5000, so it wasn't exactly going to make it into the average home!

Comment

Gee that was a long time ago and only a few years after the second world and the cost of one was only for the rich to fit in with their fitted kitchens I suppose

Comment

Not even then on the whole - At that sort of price the first ones were really sold only to wealthy commercial establishments, such as the kitchens in the largest, fanciest hotels.

To put it in perspective, back around 1949 in the U.S. $5000 would have bought you a brand new top-of-the-line Cadillac.

Comment

have to be honest theyre one of the only bits of modern technology id be lost without.

So quick and easy to warm up food instead of putting it back in the oven.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

We got our first microwave in 1986. It was a present from my uncle for helping him to move house. We had no idea what he had bought us until it was delivered and were astonished to find it was a microwave. It was a rotary-dial type but I can't remember the brand. It lasted about 10 years after being used pretty regularly. I remember the hoo-ha in the media about leaking microwaves--leaking MW radiation I mean. Reminds me of similar more recent scare stories about mobile phone radiation.

Comment

I remember my old girlfriend's Mum telling me to stand back from her microwave when it was running.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  I remember my old girlfriend's Mum telling me to stand back from her microwave when it was running.
                  That's probably a sensible idea tbh

Comment

10 yrs thats a long time with regular use say 4 or 5 times a week at a guess.

Mw radiation just another scare story ive never been affected anyway and ive used microwaves for at least 15 yrs.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                    we got our first microwave in 1986. It was a present from my uncle for helping him to move house. We had no idea what he had bought us until it was delivered and were astonished to find it was a microwave. It was a rotary-dial type but i can't remember the brand. It lasted about 10 years after being used pretty regularly. I remember the hoo-ha in the media about leaking microwaves--leaking mw radiation i mean. Reminds me of similar more recent scare stories about mobile phone radiation.

Comment

We still have the same microwave we bought before we got married, had it since about 1999 and it survived the move to another country with daily use.

Is an older version of this Sharp one.

Comment

I remember Watchdog testing out Microwave & found hardly any leaks, & the detectors sold to test them out were a waste of money unless you were a health inspector.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I can't remember exactly when the leaking microwaves scare stories appeared but I would guess late 80s/early 90s.

Comment

i remember one time when i did ambrosia creamed rice and after like 5 or so minutes i heard a massive bang the door had flown open and the plate and rice had hit the far wall must have been build up of steam that did it or perhaps it was the rice that caused it.

I near had a stroke.

Comment

The corner shop had a microwave in the late seventies. The shop owner used to sell a lot of pies/pasties to the local comprehensive kids. It was very basic, but did the job very well. You simply opened the door, put the pie/pasty in, closed the door and pressed no.1. What many people didn't realise, to stop it "cooking" the said pie/pasty, you simply opened the door. It would automatically stop. Many people would stand there looking for the "off" button. By the time you worked it out, generally after the shopkeeper shouted "OPEN THE DOOR!!!!" you would have the hottest pie/pasty in creation. This would come to light when you actually bit into your snack.......
                              Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

A microwave in the late seventies i never thought they came out till the mid eighties.

What make was it.

Must have been a shock seeing a machine other that a proper cooker grill warming pies other than those 2.

Originally posted by marc View Post
                                the corner shop had a microwave in the late seventies. The shop owner used to sell a lot of pies/pasties to the local comprehensive kids. It was very basic, but did the job very well. You simply opened the door, put the pie/pasty in, closed the door and pressed no.1. What many people didn't realise, to stop it "cooking" the said pie/pasty, you simply opened the door. It would automatically stop. Many people would stand there looking for the "off" button. By the time you worked it out, generally after the shopkeeper shouted "open the door!!!!" you would have the hottest pie/pasty in creation. This would come to light when you actually bit into your snack.......

Comment

Working...
                                X