Ford Corsair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Corsair.

Introduced as a replacement for the Classic. Styled with a very pointy nose (not sure how it would fare in pedestrian-impact tests nowadays!), it was one of the first Fords to feature the V4 engine used in the Transit and Mk IV Zephyr 4.

More...

Re: Ford Corsair.

My dad bought a 1968 Corsair 2000E in 1973 for £425 and we kept it until 1979. A really nice car...roomy, comfortable and quite powerful, with polished wooden dashboard and a radio--first one I ever saw in a car. Agreed about its nose--it was a bit startling.

Comment

The one often forgotten model of the Ford range

A mate at school had an older brother who owned one & we would often go for a ride in his Corsair
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I did see a Corsair recently, on it's way to or from a car show.

They filled the gap in the Ford range between the Cortina & Zephyr in the mid - late 1960s. Most of them had a V4 engine, never common in road going cars.

When the Mk3 Cortina came out in 1970 iit was big enough to replace both the Corsair & Mk2 Cortina.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

We had one of those when I was a man-cub
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The one my dad had was fitted with inertia-reeal seat belts. I had only seen the static ones before that. The handbrake was just under the dashboard rather than between the front seats. It was a chrome handle you had to pull to put on the handbrake, then twist it to release it.

Comment

It looked sharp at the time (you can clearly see the Ford Thunderbird influence at the front end) but was always overshadowed by the Cortina and I think never really sold that well for a Ford. With the Mk3 Cortina and the Capri it would no longer be needed by 1970. Personally I think these two models both look better than the Corsair - the design somehow does not look quite right to me. Something to do with the front end not blending in with the rest of the car perhaps?

Comment

Also the headlights are too small as though it is wearing wire-rimmed glasses. Larger twin headlights would probably have looked better.

Comment

That front end view made the Corsair look like it was perpetually startled. I guess it made sense to rationalise the Ford line-up in 1970. The Corsair was, indeed, somewhat superfluous when the Cortina was there as well.

My dad still had his Corsair when I was learning to drive, so I got to drive it quite a bit with my dad beside me.

The Achilles' heel of the car so far as we were concerned was that it was very difficult to start from cold. Once warmed up, it was fine, but ours would not start from cold when it had been left for several days, and we had to resort to starting it on a roll, and I think I read something that mentioned this was a common problem with some--V4s?

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalBall View Post
                    Also the headlights are too small as though it is wearing wire-rimmed glasses. Larger twin headlights would probably have looked better.
                    I thought that they looked like they were wearing glasses too!
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The odd thing was that it was replaced by the Cortina (mk III), yet the Cortina had been going for quite a few years prior to that!
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Sales of the Cortina far eclipsed the Corsair, so I suppose that when both were ready for a new incarnation, Ford decided that the small Corsair ownership could be absorbed by the Cortina Mk.III, rather than also going to the expense of developing and building a new Corsair.

Comment

Mmm...just had to remind myself what it looked like on google images, in a word "ORRIBLE", i had a Cortina 1600e which was a lovely car followed by the capri ghia which i promptly wrapped round a lamppost
                          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                            Mmm...just had to remind myself what it looked like on google images, in a word "ORRIBLE", i had a Cortina 1600e which was a lovely car followed by the capri ghia which i promptly wrapped round a lamppost

It was that front view that let it down imo. Inside, I thought it was really quite nice--my dad's 2000E had a polished walnut dash, which was a sign of luxury in the 60s and 70s. I believe there was a Mk. III Cortina 2000E, but I have no idea if that had a walnut dash.

My cousin had a Mk. II Cortina--also a 1600E I think. I think I preferred the shape of the Mk. III Cortina to that of the Mk. II.

Comment

Working...
                            X