Chartbuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chartbuster

In the early 70's I had TonyBlackburn's 'Chartbuster'. It was about making hit records and you aimed to get your record to number one. As you became more and more successful you played gigs in bigger venues and bought bigger and bigger cars. The songs all had really naff names (I remember one was called 'Here's Roses for You'). I used to play it with my boyfriend - he must have really liked me because we played it constantly for a few months! I wish I still had it because it was very absorbing and could take hours to finish!

More...

Re: Chartbuster

Originally posted by www.doyouremember.co.uk View Post
    In the early 70's I had TonyBlackburn's 'Chartbuster'. It was about making hit records and you aimed to get your record to number one. As you became more and more successful you played gigs in bigger venues and bought bigger and bigger cars. The songs all had really naff names (I remember one was called 'Here's Roses for You'). I used to play it with my boyfriend - he must have really liked me because we played it constantly for a few months! I wish I still had it because it was very absorbing and could take hours to finish!

More...
    For a second when I started reading the post, I thought it was a book, not a game - a book like the one by the KLF in the 80s, where they gave you supposedly easy steps to have your own number one single. The problem with the book was, although you didn't need any musical talent, you needed a certain amount of money and knowledge of sampling technology, and their steps would only get you a hit single at a particular point in 1988 when it was written! I still have the book somewhere, and with PCs and software like Soundforge, it would be pretty easy now to follow their instructions and create a three minute single, but I doubt that you'd have much success with getting it heard in clubs, on the radio etc.

As for the game, well that sounds simply splendid. There was a very early computer game called 'The Biz' which was quite similar, about getting a band to number one. It was designed by Chris Sievey, ie the late Frank Sidebottom, hugely talented south Manchester legend, and if you google 'the biz chris sievey' you can even find a site where you can download a windows version of the game. (I'd be careful though,you gotta be wary of viruses etc, so you never know).

I'd love to try out Tony Blackburn's game though. We need to change some of the songs though, lol.

Comment

It was really sad to hear of the death of Chris Sievey.

I remember seeing Chartbuster in the shops but have never played it. It's a wonder Simon Cowell hasn't brought out an updated version!
      "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I'm not a regular member of this forum, but this post just came up in a google search so I had to sign up and reply!

My mum and aunt owned chartbuster in the 70's. It's still at my grandpa's house and even though bits have been lost and it's slightly fire damaged (it's had a hard life) we still play it every christmas and we still love it! I'm currently trying to track down some replacement bits for it as most of the car cards are missing now, as are some of the songs. Tempted to write to Tony Blackburn, as we are probably the only people in the world STILL playing his board game.

Still have Here's Roses For You though!

Comment

Just read Emilys post from april 2011. Just wanted to say you are not the only ones still playing this game! We are still playing it to this day and my kids love it! Just really wish I could get a new version as its so worn I don't know how much longer it will last. One of the best games we have ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by allysearl View Post
            Just read Emilys post from april 2011. Just wanted to say you are not the only ones still playing this game! We are still playing it to this day and my kids love it! Just really wish I could get a new version as its so worn I don't know how much longer it will last. One of the best games we have ever had.
            This was my favourite game, growing up, and I still have it, albeit a little worse for wear. My kids also love it now, and we are planning on re-making it this Christmas before the original game (from 1970!) falls apart completely. We'll probably update it a little (I don't think 'wife shops at supermarket, spend £10' is quite apt any more!!) and use some more recent/classic song titles. Some of the cards are still in pristine condition as we have never used them, due to changing the rules slightly to make the game more playable (eg. we have never used the red bankruptcy card or the blue 500,000 sales card).

There can't be many children these days who actually know who Tony Blackburn is! I wonder if Tony remembers this game or ever played it himself?! It's great to see that we're not the only ones who still remember and enjoy this game. If only there was an online version we could play together!

~ Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted ~

Comment

Working...
            X