Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beautiful South

One of my favourite bands.

Formed by Paul Heaton in 1988 following The Housemartins' split, alongside former HM Dave Hemingway, the vocal trio being completed at the time by Brianna Corrigan. Dave Rotheray shared songwriting duties with Heaton, and Dave Stead and Sean Welch completed the line-up. Apart from two changes of female singer (Jacqui Abbott, then Alison Wheeler), the line-up remained unchanged until the band split in 2007.

The first singles and album 'Welcome To...' were released in '89, and the band had a No.1 hit with 'A Little Time' in 1990. Their biggest successes came in the '90s with hits such as 'Rotterdam', 'Old Red Eyes Is Back', 'Perfect 10', and a cover of 'Everybody's Talkin' amongst many others. There's that great statistic of one in seven households owning a copy of the band's first best-of 'Carry On Up The Charts' at it's peak.

Early songs were charged with spiky lyrics set to melodic tunes, and their adult-orientated pop sound never really changed throughout their career. It didn't need to.

Their music deserves to be remembered, and Hemingway, Stead and Wheeler obviously agree, as they formed New Beautiful South, now re-named The South, to carry on playing the songs live.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Re: The Beautiful South

I also like them, & was listening to their 2nd greatest hits Solid Bronze earlier this week.

There's not too many groups with 2 lead singers like TBS, which was something that made them stand out.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Re: The Beautiful South

Jennifer, Alison, Phillipa, Sue. Deborah, Annabel too...

I appreciate them more now than I did back then. I loved some of their songs like 'perfect 10' and 'Don't marry her, 'have' me', but hated others like 'Rotterdam' and 'Everybody's talking'. I've only mellowed to the ones I hated in recent years.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
      X