Desert island discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert island discs

Was thinking about this after reading the fave 80s million best seller thread.

Which 8 tracks would you pick and why? In keeping with this forum, they have to be 70s 80s and 90s.

I'll have a think about mine and get back to you.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Re: Desert island discs

I compiled a 'Desert Island' list some time ago. Will have to look it out. I know Yazoo's 'Only You' was on there. I'd probably have to modify the list for the forum though because I included some classical and some recent tracks.

Nice idea for a thread!

Comment

Great thread idea, I'll kick off........

Well Sue, as I can't take anything not 70s/80s/90s that rules out 'Classical Gas' by Mason Williams and 'Take Five' by Dave Brubeck, but it includes...

1. 'Eye Level' by The Simon Park Orchestra (Trombey) - The first tune I remember hearing as a small child. It must've been when it was a hit in 1973, so I was about 1 at the time. I know it was the theme to 'Van Der Valk' but that would have been lost on me back then, it's still one of my favourites now though.

2. 'The Hustle' by Van McCoy - Another one from my early childhood, recollected as being evocative of the time and place.

3. 'I Could Be So Good For You' by The Dennis Waterman Band - Come on, It's the 'Minder' theme tune, What's not to like?! Really reminicent of the early '80s, watching what was (and still is) one of my favourite shows on TV.

4. 'Dance Hall Days' by Wang Chung - A great '80s classic, I've always liked it. It's unusual but brilliant. 'Big World' by the same band from later in their career is fantastic too.

5. 'The Mayor Of Simpleton' by XTC - Love the rolling baseline. I liked this in '89 when it was new, and didn't hear it again for 10 years, then it got played on the radio whilst I was at work, and the following day, I went out and bought the 'Fossil Fuel' XTC best-of just for that song (although the rest of the album is good too).

6. '36D' by The Beautiful South - I could've picked almost anything by this group, but I particularly like the melody of this. '0898', the album this is from is my favourite TBS album as well.

7. 'Who Do You Love?' by Mojave 3 - Almost my favourite song. It's a little-known acoustic classic by a really underrated band.

8. 'Typical!' by Frazier Chorus - The Guv'nor in my top ten (or 8 in this case). An adult-orientated pop tune which I've loved since I first heard it.

.....and my book would be the 'TV Cream Ultimate Guide To 70s And 80s Pop Culture', just to keep all those childhood memories fresh.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I hate these choice threads. Mine would change from day to day.
        "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I dont add to them for the same reason my music choice depends on my mood at the time, and If I were to listen to the same 8 songs for the rest of my life( or even after a year stranded),I'd probably end up throwing them in the sea!
          Heather

Comment

So, just me then! lol

Don't get me wrong, I like loads of stuff, but I chose 8 songs that have remained constant in my personal favourites. However, my luxury item would be a speedboat, because ultimately I'd want to get off the desert island in the end. To be honest, I don't tend to listen to my favourite songs that often, purely because I want them to remain special to me, and I don't want them to become everyday and anodyne.

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
              I dont add to them for the same reason my music choice depends on my mood at the time, and If I were to listen to the same 8 songs for the rest of my life( or even after a year stranded),I'd probably end up throwing them in the sea!
              It's odd though, if a song is really really good, you can listen to it every day.

I worked in a department store where they had the same songs on a 10 CD shuffle coming out of the tannoy every day. They were various artist CDs, sadly the Spice Girls were big at the time, and Wannabee was on every day. It sounds vile at the best of times, but every day, you want to cut your own ears off. I still want to switch off the radio if it ever comes on.

Other horrors included Eddy Grant 'Gimme Hope Jo'anna' (laudable message, but bloody annoying day after day) and 'Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go', but two songs on the selection I never got tired of, 'Boys of Summer' by Don Henley, and 'Unfinished Sympathy' by Massive Attack. In fact when Massive came on, I'd sometimes find myself half stopping what I was doing and listening to it.

Comment

deep purple-when a blind man cries
                r.e.m-drive
                change-searching
                r.e.m-losing my religion
                ac/dc-dirty deeds done dirt cheap {bon scott}
                t.rex-hot love
                shabby tiger-slow down
                bob seger-turn the page

Comment

Just a thought - If you took your 8 records to their desert island, presumably Radio 4 would supply the record player, but where would you plug it in?

Comment

Working...
                  X