Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My favourite toy gun

Default Re: My favourite toy gun

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I had a Walthar PPK. I don't know if it was marketed as James Bond related but I think it took a roll of caps.

Thinking of caps...do they even sell those anymore?
    I went through hundreds of these as a kid. They came on a wound tape, like a tape measure for sewing (which is another 'toy' we played with as kids) in a small round paper packet. The tape was light green iirc and the black dots were the caps. You then 'loaded' this reel into your gun and it unwound as you fired the caps.

You could also make the caps go off if you scratched them with a stone or something metallic.

Oh, the H & S brigade would have nightmares if you could still buy these !

Default Re: My favourite toy gun

Quote Originally Posted by Pussywillow View Post
    I went through hundreds of these as a kid. They came on a wound tape, like a tape measure for sewing (which is another 'toy' we played with as kids) in a small round paper packet. The tape was light green iirc and the black dots were the caps. You then 'loaded' this reel into your gun and it unwound as you fired the caps.

You could also make the caps go off if you scratched them with a stone or something metallic.

Oh, the H & S brigade would have nightmares if you could still buy these !

They used to be sold at nearly every newsagent or corner store. They were cheap and you got lots of bangs for your money, unlike those plastic rings, which were louder but far more expensive.

When I was young the sound of cap guns going off and kids playing cops and robbers, army, cowboys and indians etc was so common. I don't think I have heard a cap gun for at least a decade, probably much longer. Actually, kids seem to not play outside much now; no doubt too busy playing on games consoles and smart phones.