My favourite toy gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My favourite toy gun

I had a Walthar PPK. I don't know if it was marketed as James Bond related but I think it took a roll of caps.

Thinking of caps...do they even sell those anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      I had a Walthar PPK. I don't know if it was marketed as James Bond related but I think it took a roll of caps.

They sell those things wrapped in paper that can be thrown or dropped -they sound really quite loud as well !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My dad had a real PPK (I think it was) as he was "employed" by HM Govt. after the war...
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
          They sell those things wrapped in paper that can be thrown or dropped -they sound really quite loud as well !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think I have seen those at some time. I do recall those plastic, bomb shaped things with metal noses that you put a cap in and dropped onto a hard surface to make a bang.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            My dad had a real PPK (I think it was) as he was "employed" by HM Govt. after the war...

lol Mine was just a toy, but thinking about it, I am more sure that it was actually Bond-related and had "James Bond 007" or similar on the handle.

There also used to be plastic rings with maybe 6 or 8 caps spread around the ring that fitted into some toy guns. I had a cowboy rifle and a snub-nosed revolver that took them. They were louder than cap rolls but much more expensive and after 6 or so shots you had to change to a fresh ring--which I think were red in colour.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post

I went through hundreds of these as a kid. They came on a wound tape, like a tape measure for sewing (which is another 'toy' we played with as kids) in a small round paper packet. The tape was light green iirc and the black dots were the caps. You then 'loaded' this reel into your gun and it unwound as you fired the caps.

You could also make the caps go off if you scratched them with a stone or something metallic.

Oh, the H & S brigade would have nightmares if you could still buy these !

Comment

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post
                I went through hundreds of these as a kid. They came on a wound tape, like a tape measure for sewing (which is another 'toy' we played with as kids) in a small round paper packet. The tape was light green iirc and the black dots were the caps. You then 'loaded' this reel into your gun and it unwound as you fired the caps.

You could also make the caps go off if you scratched them with a stone or something metallic.

They used to be sold at nearly every newsagent or corner store. They were cheap and you got lots of bangs for your money, unlike those plastic rings, which were louder but far more expensive.

When I was young the sound of cap guns going off and kids playing cops and robbers, army, cowboys and indians etc was so common. I don't think I have heard a cap gun for at least a decade, probably much longer. Actually, kids seem to not play outside much now; no doubt too busy playing on games consoles and smart phones.

Comment

Mine would have to be my Winfield (Woolie's) black die cast metal Remington pistol. It had the old style octaganonal barrel and took a roll of those blue caps that used to produce pleasant smelling smoke when they went pop. I don't think I'd want to carry any thing that remoteley resembles a firearm in public in this day and age. Times have changed!

Comment

Personally I am a lover of the Nerf brand, I even have wars with my kids from time to time every one with their own nerf gun running all over the house, is a lot of fun and great to keep the stress off the daily routine.

Just in case anyone would like to try it, this is my favorite gun: https://www.woodentoybox.net/nerf/fo...-arl-nerf-gun/

Give it a try

Comment

I bought a Colt 1911 cap gun. The photo on the front of the box looked damn cool, but when I got home and opened it, I found it wasn't black but beige!
                      I swiftly painted it black.

Comment

I had Marx army machine gun , you pulled the lever on the side back, effectively winding it up and pulling the trigger it made the rat a tat noise and a bright orange bit at the end of the muzzle moved in and out

Comment

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post

The most fun was putting these in a cap rocket.
                          You could tear off maybe 4 or even 6 caps, carefully fold them up, insert into the rocket and throw up in the air and watch it sail down to make a very loud bang!
                          I've just had an olfactory flashback to the gunpowder smell of my schooldays when using toys like this at playtime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	caps.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	287952
                          As for cap guns, I remember being the envy of my mates because I had a Luger replica gun, looking very like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	lugar.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	287953

Comment

Oh yes! Those little cap rockets were ubiquitous. I also remember tearing off a strip of caps from a roll and carefully lighting one end with a match. If you got it right you'd be rewarded with a rapid fire pop pop pop type of effect.

I think caps were largely replaced by those red circular plastic things that would sit snuggly on the cylinder of a revolver. They had their place but not nearly as versatile and as fun as the good old fashioned rolls of caps.

Comment

Working...
                            X