What was your first mobile phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What was your first mobile phone?

I got a Samsung Monte just a couple of weeks ago, when I switched from 02 Pay & Go to a T-Mobile £10 a month contract.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

No idea on the model, but it was Motorola, and my provider was Cellnet. Usual brick, with a superfluous looking aerial sticking out the top. It was 1996, and there was an enclosed competition with the phone to win tickets to a Euro 96 football match by completing the slogan 'I chose Cellnet because'. I wrote 'do I not like Orange', as it was around the time of Graham Taylor's advert, sent the entry off and forgot about it. Then a month or so later, I got a card backed stiff envlope through the post, no idea what it could be, opened it to see a letter headed 'CONGRATULATIONS!' and dipped into the envelope again to find 2 tickets for the Old Trafford Euro quarter-final! Maybe no-one else had entered, but my slogan had won. The game turned out to be Germany v Croatia, which wasn't a very good match, but it was still nice to experience some of Euro 96 for free thanks to Cellnet.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2507.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	259826

From left to right right, Ericsson A2618s (2001-2004) Nokia 3510i (2004-2008) Nokia 2630 (2008-10) & Samsung Monte (2010+)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2976[/ATTACH]

From left to right right, Ericsson A2618s (2001-2004) Nokia 3510i (2004-2008) Nokia 2630 (2008-10) & Samsung Monte (2010+)
          Impressed that you still have them all. I don't have my first one. Mam still uses the 8210, the Sony Ericsson might be with my parents too but unused as it never got unlocked, I've still got the Pebl and obviously the 6300. This touch screen on the Monte takes a bit of getting used to though, but it's pretty cool. I'm on a £10 a month contract too so I don't have access to all the bits and bobs but I can live without those. Teenagers, on the other hand, don't seem to be able to!
          1976 Vintage

Comment

I was very late to the Mobile Phone party. I resisted having one for as long as I could, then, 4 years ago my brother-in-law gave me a secondhand Motorola. It had the 'Bananaman' theme as one of it's ringtones. It only lasted a month-or-so before expiring, but by then I'd realised the advantages of having one. I went out and bought my first new mobile - a Samsung, and last year I replaced it with another Samsung - a J700 (I think, haven't got it in front of me now).
            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Glad someone brought this subject up!

My first phone was the trusty old Motorola M3788 - bought in May 2000 and you are not going to believe this! I still use it everyday now ! Im in love with the thing, it gets a good strong signal anywhere, reception is so clear, people do look at it and laugh though (I can take it!)

I shall be gutted if anything happens to it, I am looking for a nice new case for it but it's so old and huge im struggling!

Comment

Originally posted by flying saucer View Post
                glad someone brought this subject up!

My first phone was the trusty old motorola m3788 - bought in may 2000 and you are not going to believe this! I still use it everyday now ! Im in love with the thing, it gets a good strong signal anywhere, reception is so clear, people do look at it and laugh though (i can take it!)

i shall be gutted if anything happens to it, i am looking for a nice new case for it but it's so old and huge im struggling!

respect!

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
                  Glad someone brought this subject up!

My first phone was the trusty old Motorola M3788 - bought in May 2000 and you are not going to believe this! I still use it everyday now ! Im in love with the thing, it gets a good strong signal anywhere, reception is so clear, people do look at it and laugh though (I can take it!)

I shall be gutted if anything happens to it, I am looking for a nice new case for it but it's so old and huge im struggling!
                  I can't believe no one started the thread sooner! It just dawned on me last night to do it!
                  Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

The first 2/3 we hardly cutting edge when I got them, & by the time I bought a new one they weren't worth anything as a trade in.

As they all still work I've kept them for spares, & didn't have the heart to put any into a recycling bin.

My sister has had a contract for many years & my parents have all her old phones, my Mum had lots of problems when she gained a Sony Ericsson after years of using Nokias.

Comment

An ORANGE Motorola which could only send and recieve text messages and could make my own ringtone (Mine was a siren). Even better, I could get a free video as part of the offer as well.
                      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

The one I have at the moment's a 2nd hand O2 XDA2 mini pocket pc.
                        WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

My Ericsson had a composer, which was common on phones until polyphonic ringtones & mp3 playing phones came along.

I remember someone where I used to work had a Sony that could use sound samples as a ringtone, though the quality was low.

Comment

Before I gave my mam the 8210 she had a little phone - I can't even remember the make think it was something obscure, but it had a composer and I put the close encounters of the 3rd kind tune on it
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

I was determined to get along without a mobile phone as I regarded them as moronic and another addiction! However I landed myself a job in lower management with the NHS in 2003 and felt that the phone would go with the image....yes! I'm shallow just like everyone else! I actually thought that it would be surplus to requirement....twas a Nokia 4410 and it became my favourite toy never leaving my side. I'm now onto my fourth..the Sony Ericsson Elm and I've changed networks twice. I could not live without a mobile now....and totally despise myself for being such a moron!!

Comment

I must be one of the very few people in the world that does not have a mobile phone or have any plans at all to buy one

Comment

Working...
                                X