What was your first mobile phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What was your first mobile phone?

Nokia 3310,second hand.Packed up about a month ago and now have a second hand nokia 3330.I only want a phone,nothing else.But saying that it's dam annoying when it goes off and I am out doing a little scrumping or foraging,and don't want to be noticed,lol.Another reason to turn the dam thing off when I am out.Emergencys only.That's all it is for.

Comment

Mine was a BT Cellnet phone, the first type.

Comment

Philips C12 on BT Cellnet in 1998, then have went through 16 phones and now on an iPhone 4

Comment

My parents had mobiles long before I did- they had two matching Motorolas under the old BT 'One 2 One' package, though I can't remember the exact models. They got them in '97, I think my Dad still has his somewhere- they had little stubby aerials.
          I didn't have a mobile until my 40th birthday in May 2004, when I was given a little Sendo as part of a Virgin 'pay as you go' package. I loved it, and was using it up until two years ago when it finally had to go into retirement in the bottom drawer. I now use a 2005 Nokia 5060 that I got second-hand on eBay.

Comment

Motorola Brick - 1995

Comment

Had a nokia 3210 work phone, you could drop it, kick it, throw it and it would still work, crakin phones back in the day

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
                The one I have at the moment's a 2nd hand O2 XDA2 mini pocket pc.
                Whose connection died (I couldn't reconnect it) so I had to get a Windows drivenmobile, a second hand Windows mobile 6.1 HTC Blackstone (I still had the SIM and SD cards) and at least headphones,re dead easy to get for it.
                WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

80s Mobile Phones

I can recall these when Joey on Bread had one and one from a scene in Only Fools and horses, but that was about 1992 I think. Regards Joey's Phone, I think sometimes he had a Car Phone or a Cordless one which was similar to a Mobile in those day's, not as I knew the difference until year's later.

I also recall Mr Hargreaves on Grange Hill in Series 15 (1992) trying to install a Mobile Phone in his car, which would be similar to Joey's I think, attached in the middle before Mobles became how they are now.
                  After this the next "big thing" I knew about Mobiles was when I was young, me any my Mum picking up a Mobile for a friend's daughter who had lost it while working in a Holiday Camp - that'd be about 1993 I think.
                  What can other members recall about 80s Mobiles or the first time you knew of one (say an advert or it on Tv say)?

Comment

my first phone was the Maxon MX-3204 / MN-1

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxon_mx_3204.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	260033

Comment

I was given one of these for work late 1980's
                      Panasonic portable analogue mobile phone. The handset detaches from the the main unit. It weighed about 3kg with battery.
                      No sim cards or pay as you go in them days.

Name:	panasonic.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	260039

Comment

Really can't remember now as it was about 1997 ,all I know is that it was with orange and it had an aerial at the top that you pulled out ............not quite the same as my Blackberry I'm using atm.

Comment

A cherry red virgin mobile (think it was made by Alcatel and was well made) and I paid quite a lot of money for it in approx 1998. Sadly it broke so I got a replacement (see pic below). I never saw the film even though I fancied the actor! It was much heavier than my previous one and I was on the look out for the next one! Mainly ones made for Virgin. My favourite Virgin one was by Siemens which was a pebble type phone with a mirror inside, camera video etc. I still have it but now I have HTC Windows phone which is great!

Name:	nokia8110.jpg
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	260193
                          Last edited by Beach Life; 06-01-2013, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by chilligrape View Post
                            Mine was a Vodafone MN-1, in 1997. It was red and I loved it! I remember looking through the menu's and wondering what the 'messages' menu was for! Now I send hundreds a week
                            originally manufacturers dithered as to whether to include text messaging on phones. They thought it was a throwback to pagers and that nobody would use text messages if they could speak instead. Wrong!
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

On my Mum's first phone (a Motorola from Orange) you could only received texts on a "Pay As You Go" package.

I never remember pagers getting that mainstream compaired to America, it must have only been a brief period before mobiles came down in price.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Did you know it costs nothing to the network provider to send a text? The radio masts that pings your cellphone to tell where it is sends data, as well as your phone pinging back to the mast. The extra space left over from these pings is 140 characters worth of data.

Comment

Working...
                                X