Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What was your first mobile phone?

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
    On my Mum's first phone (a Motorola from Orange) you could only received texts on a "Pay As You Go" package.

I never remember pagers getting that mainstream compaired to America, it must have only been a brief period before mobiles came down in price.
    Only knew one person who had a pager, a deaf friend, around the time I got my first mobile.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
      Only knew one person who had a pager, a deaf friend, around the time I got my first mobile.
      I remember my Dad had one for work for a couple of years before getting a mobile to replace it & his carphone.

One or 2 friends had them at college.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

my very first mobile was the Vodafone MN1, i had the blue one

Comment

My friend had that blue phone. I remember thinking how sleek and modern it was. I had a good chuckle when I saw that picture.

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
            My first was a Bosch. Can't remember the model but it was a transparent bright orange one and i'm pretty sure that Orange was the network.
            Bosch 509e it was my first pay and go phone and it was on Orange and it was in orange too. It cost me £120 back in 1999. I have six of them in the attic three in orange and three in white.

Comment

Hey all! Just found this site whilst idly killing time. Anyway, to answer the question, NEC 9 A (analogue pre ETACS!) in early 1988 thru work as a youngster - I was 18 - 19 and it really was quite a novelty back then. It was quite hefty but could JUST be squeezed in to a coat pocket... sort of! Would've set me back almost £2,000 had I bought it myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NEC9A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	260416

Comment

It must have been flash back in the day compaired to the original "brick" ones.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  It must have been flash back in the day compaired to the original "brick" ones.
                  Yup - certainly was! Spiffiest thing this side of a Mobira (Nokia's original UK name) Cityman back then. No idea how it would have lasted long term though, it seemed pretty flimsy in comparison to the Mobira & Motorola models of the time. I knew a chap who had an original Cityman 1320 right up 'til analogue switch off - and on the original NAM too! Surely a record??

Frank

Comment

Being the Luddite that I am I resisted getting a mobile until just this year. My first and only mobile is an LG Smartphone.

Comment

It was a Motorola flip phone that looked like a brick in the early 90s

Comment

Mine was an Orange phone, can't remember much else about it except it was faulty and I can't even remember what the fault was.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                          My life in mobile phones...Nokia 5110, Nokia 8210, Sony Ericsson T120(?), Motorola Pebl, Nokia 6300 and my newest, (just acquired today!) Samsung Monte.
                          And to update, iPhone 4s (stolen after four months), iPhone 4s (completely wrecked through soft drink spillage after 17 months). I never damaged any of the cheaper phones or had them stolen
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

I Had Nokia 1100

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
                              My first was a Bosch. Can't remember the model but it was a transparent bright orange one and i'm pretty sure that Orange was the network.
                              That was my first pay as you go phone. It was the Bosch 509e, it cost me £120 from Dixons back in Nov 1999.

Comment

Mine was a Trium. It worked, well 6 calls out of 10 connected! It was on BT Cellnet I believe I got it around 1999/2000. Still in the drawer I think!

Comment

Working...
                                X