Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Photography will Ruin Nostalgia?..Discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital Photography will Ruin Nostalgia?..Discuss.

On this subject I had a brain-wave last year and "digitaly reprocessed" about 80 of my favourite old analogue prints. All I did was I photographed them with my digital camera! Sounds a bit lame I know, but the pictures came out really well and of course you can darken/lighten them and enhance them to your taste. There was one particularly faded black and white instant-polaroid (remember them) from 1975 which will probably be unrecognisable in a few years and now I have it preserved for eternity. It has very sentimantal value and you didn't get negatives with polaroid prints which makes the whole experience more rewarding!

Comment

I must have had a very similar thought because I have been doing that also. I've contacted relatives and borrowed snaps from years ago and taken digital images from them. Photographs rather than scans. I've found the best way to do it is to take them from about 1.5m away on macro and zoom so they remain square edged. It is a cheaper option than hiring a rostrum camera. Whatever images you capture need backing up several times(just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by Grosh62 View Post
        I must have had a very similar thought because I have been doing that also. I've contacted relatives and borrowed snaps from years ago and taken digital images from them. Photographs rather than scans. I've found the best way to do it is to take them from about 1.5m away on macro and zoom so they remain square edged. It is a cheaper option than hiring a rostrum camera. Whatever images you capture need backing up several times(just in case)

Interesting! I might try that method. I set my camera to "Documents setting" with the macro on and took them just close enough for the picture to fill the view-finder, about 7 inches away. My biggest concern was how to light the photographs I was copying. In the end I just used natural light placing the pics close to my living room window, that seemed to give the best result although there were some shadows on gloss prints. You also need to use the highest resolution setting you can get away with.

Comment

Would it not be better to use a document scanner to scan the prints to your pc.?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
            It's ruined it for me already. My old laptop died at the weekend and has all my digital photos on it from the last 6 years...no back ups or prints . There wasn't tons as I do a lot of deleting, but the ones that were there were precious. My own fault I know but gutted.

nah, I don't think it will, as other's have said, technology will advance, and these digital pic's will seem old hat, anyway u get software to make them look old and the Printers u get nowadays can print as tho they were out of the shop

on Trickyvees plight, yeah if the hard drive is ok, just take it out and stick it in the desktop
            bob's yer uncle
            on another note, even if you accidentally deleted them, u get recovery programs
            I once got a virus on my PC, reluctantly ended up having to reformat and re-install
            the os
            I had years of Music/Videos/and Picture's stored on the hard drive which was now empty

don't ask me how, even tho the disk said it was free space apart from the os
            I downloaded a program off the net and got every single thing back

hth
            DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              It's ruined it for me already. My old laptop died at the weekend and has all my digital photos on it from the last 6 years...no back ups or prints . There wasn't tons as I do a lot of deleting, but the ones that were there were precious. My own fault I know but gutted.
              so mate you say you lost loads of digital photos some that meant a lot to you.

but have you still got the original photos mate.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
              X