Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Photography will Ruin Nostalgia?..Discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Photography will Ruin Nostalgia?..Discuss.

Looking at my chemically and sun faded photos from the 70s, it struck me that Digital photography may well ruin the faded quality of future nostalgia. How boring it would be if we had Victorian pictures that looked like they were taken yesterday because there was no picture deterioration over the years. Well that is what the future holds for us as we eventually look back to the Naughties and beyond. Someone should invent software that naturally ages digital photos (not the Photoshop filters that already exist)..

Or is it just me that actually enjoys the aesthetic quality of aged photographs..?

Re: Digital Photography will Ruin Nostalgia?..Discuss.

I'm a big fan of getting my pictures printed up still. I have countless albums full of my kids lives so far.
    Hopefully the clothes they are wearing,toys they are playing with, the way the home is decorated will help tell the tale.
    Things move on so quickly who knows what else will develop??
    we may in 10 years time be saying cor look at those old fashined Digital photo's they are 'so Naughties'
    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
      I'm a big fan of getting my pictures printed up still.
      I have countless albums full of my kids lives so far.
      Hopefully the clothes they are wearing,toys they are playing with, the way the home is decorated will help tell the tale.
      Things move on so quickly who knows what else will develop??
      we may in 10 years time be saying cor look at those old fashined Digital photo's they are 'so Naughties'
      You may be right Huggie, The future may have Holographic photos in which case todays will be very dated.

Comment

It's ruined it for me already. My old laptop died at the weekend and has all my digital photos on it from the last 6 years...no back ups or prints . There wasn't tons as I do a lot of deleting, but the ones that were there were precious. My own fault I know but gutted.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

It's odd that some pictures my parents took years ago have faded with an orange tint, while others taken at almost the same time still look like the were taken yesterday.

Some of those companies that used to put envelopes in the papers to send off your films must have done things on the cheap.

My parents have occasionally had their digital photos printed, but mostly fill up a CD-ROM so they had be viewed via a DVD player.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

What about video cameras?
            There's something about Super 8 that is so evocative of a time gone by. I loved that programme that was on a couple of months back, finding people's old Super 8 films from years ago.
            Even 80s and 90s video tape quality has something of those times about it, but nowadays anyone can take a video on their phone and it's no longer special.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              It's ruined it for me already. My old laptop died at the weekend and has all my digital photos on it from the last 6 years...no back ups or prints . There wasn't tons as I do a lot of deleting, but the ones that were there were precious. My own fault I know but gutted.
              Sorry to hear that and believe me, I know how it feels to lose some of your best stuff (Don't know what I did but I accidenatlly wiped one of my flash drives last year) so you've got my sympathy. The best advice I can give his get yourself some back up SD cards and USB flashdrives and keep them in a very safe place. One thing Ilost involved a literary experiment I'd been hoping to do for years and finally got round to doing but this time I'm repeating the experiment with back ups and a more qualified and experienced (but a bit out of her depth) character.

Anyway, what about all those people who have their own darkrooms? Wasn't developing your own photoes part of the fun of photography as a hobby?
              The same could be saifd for gaiming these days, all it took during thei eighties was a basic knowlege of machine code, bit of planning a few cans of lager (if you were old enough), some eighties music and a few nights a week sat in front of an 8-bit computer to create a good or even best selling game. But know it's all hollywood block buster budgets, several people working on it at once and months. years.
              WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

It will be possible to do Something about this!!!!. Try PC World and explain. They will be able to take your Hard Drive out and transfer it for you I'm Sure. It may cost a bit but those images are priceless. Good Luck!!

Comment

Have you still got the "dead" laptop? If so, can you open it up, take out the hard disk and fit it inside a desktop PC as an extra hard disk. I'd only recommend you do this if you are familiar with computer hardware, if you know nothing about computers do you have a friend who is familiar with computers?

That's why you shouldn't rely solely on your hard disk for storage, back up to DVDs regularly.

I've got loads of photos from the last couple of years on my PC, which is why the hard disk is almost full. Once I've sorted through all my 2009 photos (getting rid of dud ones I don't want), I'll archive the lot to DVDs - two sets not just one.
                  I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

if the harddrive is not physically destroyed they should be recoverable.if it was not the harddrive that died you could connect the harddrive as a "slave drive" to another pc.There are a number of recovery software options too.There are companies/shops that speialize in data recovery.
                    sigpic

Comment

So don't be so despondent Trickyvee

Comment

Sorry but I disagree with the ageing photo bit.

Its the quality of what the photo says that brings the nostalgia not a fading photo.
                        Myself and my friends have just had a massive posting of photos and rare video footage on facebook from 20+ odd years ago when we were teenagers and its brought back a huge amount of nostalgia.

What digital photography is changing is the amount of photos we now have, it use to be that you would have 24 or 36 exposures which you had to pay once for the film and then again to get printed of which at least a quarter would come back a load of rubbish and blurred etc.
                        So you would take your photos carefully, nowadays we just snap away at anything.

One good photo in a album is worth at least 20 or 30 photos taken of the same day sitting on your hard drive doing nothing.

My latest project at home is going through all my archived digital photos and pulling out the gems which I am getting printed for a proper family photo album.
                        sigpic

Comment

The thrill of getting your prints from the shop has gone (with a third being rubbish, over/under exposed, thumbs and pictures of the cat to use the film up); I miss that but love the new technology.

Comment

I agree TooSoonTom. (are you a Riddler?)
                            "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Originally posted by TooSoonTom View Post
                              The thrill of getting your prints from the shop has gone (with a third being rubbish, over/under exposed, thumbs and pictures of the cat to use the film up); I miss that but love the new technology.
                              Exactly! It was a great waste of money but So very Exciting with everybody claiming first look too.

Comment

Working...
                              X