Boyzone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyzone

The Irish boy band arrived in 1993 with band members Ronan Keating, Keith Duffy, Stephen Gately, Mikey Graham and Shane Lynch, who all auditioned to be members of a new 'Irish boy band'In 1994, they began playing to audiences in Northern Ireland before signing up with Polygram records releasing hit after hit including "Words", "No Matter What", "Love Me For A Reason" and "When You Say Nothing At All".After 6 years together, the group members decided to take some time off from Boyzone to pursue solo projects. Boyzone performed together for the last time in January 2000. Ronan went on to a sucessful solo career whilst Keith Duffy appeared in ITV's Coronation Street.In 2007 the band reformed and sold out tickets for the UK come back tour. Tragically, Stephen died of natural causes suddenly whilst at his home in Mallorca, spain in October 2009. The band are still going strong and have announced UK tour dates for 2010 & 2011.

More...

Re: Boyzone

What a sensational group/band Boyzone were!! Stephen and Ronan made them no doubts, but the entire group good sing as well as Keith being a brilliant actor too. It would be amazing if Keith could return at some point to Corrie I think!!

Stephen's vocal's on No Matter what will stay with me forever - that was just the most amazingly beautiful song but also at the same time haunting too. No Matter What was one of those song's you will always recall - what you was doing at the time regardless when it was new. It was similar too with Love Me For A Reason - though I can not recall hearing it straight away like I did No Matter What - but for me these 2 are Boyzone's greatest songs ever. Thankfully I will always recall that I saw them live in Sheffield in either 97 or 98 and will remember them in the same way as like my Mum would the 1960s groups and bandsor say your Grand-parents Frand Ifield or The everley brothers, Nat King Cole etc. Given that all the members of Boyzone all hailed from Ireland and how renowned as great singers Irish singers are - I am not surprised one bit what a great group Boyzone became.

80sChav

Comment

boyzone where good.
      much preferred them to westlife who just did cover version after cover version.

very sad stephen died not long back.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        boyzone where good.
        much preferred them to westlife who just did cover version after cover version.

very sad stephen died not long back.
        Very true indeed Darren, Boyzone where good - but better than good to be honest I think, they where a group i felt privalged to see at the height of their brilliance in Coincert in either 97 or 98!!, they where amazing. Ronan was obviously the talent beyond the songs, but poor Stephen Rip - I will never ever, ever foget where I was when No Matter what was brought out that day - just like first upon hearing Angels by Robbie Williams or Don't Look Back In Anger by Oasis - they are one-off songs you always recall the day you first heard it/where you was that day etc I think!!

Arms of Mary by Boyzone is beautifuly sung if ever you stumble across it - it was an old 70s song modernised I think - like Elton John did with True Love

Comment

Trivia time: I actually managed to Shane Lynch's autograph - twice. The second time I sent a copy of his autobiography in the post to a theatre that he was appearing in panto a few years ago, and he signed it. I think it was The Stag in Sevenoaks were he was appearing, in either Aladdin or Peter Pan.

I do collect autographs, mind you. No matter who (or No Matter What if you excuse the pun), the famous person happens to be.

Irish male singers are so talented - that is why Ireland were so successful in winning Eurovision in the 1990s, and I think that Johnny Logan was the default template for those wins, even though Logan was Australian - he did have a surname that rhymed with Wogan, lest we forget. And of course Westlife as well, another great group - the question is, would we have had Westlife if we hadn't have had Boyzone, or that have been a "chicken and egg" argument?
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            Trivia time: I actually managed to Shane Lynch's autograph - twice. The second time I sent a copy of his autobiography in the post to a theatre that he was appearing in panto a few years ago, and he signed it. I think it was The Stag in Sevenoaks were he was appearing, in either Aladdin or Peter Pan.

I do collect autographs, mind you. No matter who (or No Matter What if you excuse the pun), the famous person happens to be.

Irish male singers are so talented - that is why Ireland were so successful in winning Eurovision in the 1990s, and I think that Johnny Logan was the default template for those wins, even though Logan was Australian - he did have a surname that rhymed with Wogan, lest we forget. And of course Westlife as well, another great group - the question is, would we have had Westlife if we hadn't have had Boyzone, or that have been a "chicken and egg" argument?
            You are right here, George - this is highly true this indeed about Irish Singers and Eurovision , as too you are right about if we'd not had Boyzone - re Westlife

The Irish Singers (male and female or so talented due to their gravley voices I think like the Welsh with Tom Jones and Bonnie Tyler and the Scotish with Rod stewart (though he often denies he has much Scotish blood in him)

Te reason I think behind Boyzone/Westlife and their Scotish/Welsh countarparts having similar voices is due to yes Scotland has an East side and people moved to Scotland from, Ireland (all over Scotland) but it is the Kelt-ness or to transform it into modern wording Celt-ness as so much of the s Countries are linked due to them all mainly being Western of the British Isles

80sChav

Comment

I also have some Boyzone t-shirts as well...
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

This is one of my Boyzone t-shirts, and I often wear it with a denim jacket and some tight jeans, in order to give that "sub-Shakin' Stevens" look. (Well, I do think that it does look good on me, anyway...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	az Boyzone t-shirt.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	294372
                Attached Files
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment