Saturday afternoon tv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday afternoon tv

Not a rant about the state of Saturday afternoonTV these days.

As far as I remember Saturday afternoons on ITV consisted of
    Airwolf (Futuristic at the time)
    StreetHawk
    The A-team
    Wrestling
    Dynomutt
    Anybody remember anything else apart from the obvious World Of Sport (What happened to Dickie Davies)?
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Re: Saturday afternoon tv

You mean after World of Sport? Off the top of my head, CHiPs, the Californian Highway Patrol, with Jon and Ponch, once misprinted in the Manchester Evening News as Jon and Punch.

Mork and Mindy was another 5 o'clock favourite, along with Happy Days. I think Buck Rogers was on in the same slot but I was never keen on that.

Into the 80s, there was an odd 'Guinness records' type show called 'Just Amazing', presented by Barry Sheene and Dead Ringers impressionist Jan Ravens. It was the first time I ever noticed Jan Ravens because she was so over the top in her presentation style, I was convinced she was taking the p*ss out of the people who were plotting amazing feats of throwing an egg 100 meteres without it breaking or whatever.

'Robin of Sherwood' was always on in April/May, I remember every Cup final in the mid 80s (which usually featured Everton IIRC) was followed by Clannad's weird music and a load of bods playing bows and arrows.

But The A Team was without doubt THE programme to watch at 5pm on a Saturday, I was 13/14, so just at the outside edge of the age group that watched it, and stopped watching it in 85 because I decided it was childish and I was too cool for it! But looking back, it was tremendous fun, especially when Colonel Decker got so annoyed at not catching them.

Oh yeah, and there was always the Saturday night edition of Blockbusters! Two lads from my school went on Blockbusters in 1987. Pretty hilarious, they got panned by a posh girl from Harrow on the Hill or somewhere, I think they only answered two questions. And then it emerged that one of them had tried to cop off with the posh girl backstage but she was having none of it. We laughed at them for weeks and kept humming the Blockbusters theme music when we saw them in the corridor.
    Last edited by stockportyears; 03-11-2010, 20:32. Reason: I'll have a P please Bob.

Comment

The Dukes Of Hazzard seemed to be shown mid-afternoon on BBC for the first half of the 1980s, in the old Dr Who slot, which had was show twice a week on weekdays for a few years.

Others I remember (it's hard to draw a line where the afternoon ended & the evening began):

Jim'll Fix It

Double / Triple Bill of old Cartoons

Knight Rider

Battlestar Galactica
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Hey, I remember Just Amazing but here's a couple more to keep the ball rolling
        Gladiators
        Some comedy sketch thing featuring Les Dennis

ome on you people, lets keep it going.
        WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Les Dennis teamed up with Dustin Gee before the latter's untimely death, & then joined Russ Abbot's show & briefly had a solo show.

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
            Some comedy sketch thing featuring Les Dennis
            Russ Abbot's Saturday Madhouse? Also featuring Bella Emberg, Jeffrey Holland (Spike in Hi de Hi) and some people who weren't famous at the time but went on to be. But I've forgotten who they were.
            Russ was pretty funny on ITV, but then he went to BBC with a load of new characters and he lost a lot of his sparkle.
            I remember he did a Blockbusters sketch with Les Dennis as Bob. Russ was a rowdy scouse kid who put a toilet roll at the front of his desk where the mascots were, and 'Bob' asked "Is that your macot?" and Russ said "no Bob, I'm just nervous." Weird what you remember.

I seem to recall Lisa Maxwell (later DI Nixon in the Bill) had a Saturday comedy sketch show on BBC in the 80s?

Comment

id watch knight rider better ten the new one.
              world of sport and grandstand as well as the wrestling with giant haystacks and the like.

play your cards right as well.
              others like game for a laugh and lots of others.

we really where spoiled.

check this.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3WgqsjH05A
              and another.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2NJAJ8uhs
              Last edited by darren; 04-11-2010, 00:12.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The pink panther show was on after Grandstand quite often, i remeber copy cats on ITV i think Bobby Davro, Gary Wilmott and a woman called Jessica Martin were in it, whatever happened to her anyone she was quite cute in them days, and maybe another 3 or 4 people.
                I really used to hate Generation game with Jim Davidson it was so patronising and insult to peoples inteligence.
                Just amazing thats spooky was only thinking about that the other day it used to be people driving a motorbike on a tightrope across the grand canyon etc, i think Kenny Lynch was in it too
                I dont think we ever got Blockbusters round our way on a Saturday.

Comment

for you jingbang as you never saw it where you lived.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCiNVZBziVI

what a fantastic tune this has.

check this out also.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Holness -
                  Last edited by darren; 04-11-2010, 01:19.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Cheers lol i had actually seen the program before i just dont recall it ever being on a Saturday i remember it being on quarter past 5 during the week.
                    Does anyone else remeber Connections that replaced Blockbusters when it wasnt on and was hosted by Sue Robbie it was a game when you got shown different pictures of things and you had to figure out what the connection was?
                    Sue Robbie always presented a show called First post on ITV which was like a kids version of points of view.

Comment

I remember Lisa Maxwell's show, the quality of the writing was fairly iffy, with some good sketches & a lot of bad ones.

I also remember Connections, I used to be good at solving them.

Comment

I remember that the theme tunes to 'Grandstand' or 'World Of Sport' would usually signify that it was time to go out and play or go to the shops - I wasn't really into sport in the early '80s.

I always watched 'Knight Rider' or 'The Fall Guy' and other U.S. classics like those. Going into the evenings, 'Paul Daniels' Magic Show', 'Game For A laugh' or 'Bob's Full House' provided the entertainment.
                        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I loved Les and Dustin's laughter show. I remember when Dustin Gee died and it sounds daft but it was the first time I had encountered someone I 'knew' and liked dying and I was really upset.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember a show that aired on the BBC late Saturday afternoon presented by Tony Robinson. It was about the old cartoons featuring the likes of Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner and Daffy Duck. It seemed to last quite awhile because I remember watching it at my nan's house most weekends, guess it would have been early 90's. Anyone else remember this?

Comment

Yes, it was called Stay Tooned
                              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Working...
                              X