Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember Remember the Fifth of November!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember Remember the Fifth of November!!

I found these great 'blast from the past' pictures to jog our collective memories

Click image for larger version

Name:	fireworks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	264171Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard%20Price%20List%20-%201960%20(1).jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	264172Click image for larger version

Name:	fireworks 1.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	264173
    Keep safe this weekend!!

Re: Remember Remember the Fifth of November!!

Have you noticed that over the last few years the fireworks have returned to the appropriate date? From around the mid-eighties people started letting off the fireworks in October, and carried on until half way through November. There's been fireworks going off for the whole of this evening (Nov 5), but I've heard none up to now.

We never had fireworks of our own when I was a kid - we lived in flats and I don't think it was allowed - but there was usually one family who had their own firework display in the communal area around the side of the building, which we could watch from the bedroom window.

Nowadays you get more fireworks being let off for the New Year.
    The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

I've just been round to my friend's house setting off fireworks with the kids. Great fun! I feel quite sad that fireworks have spread to new year. It's a relatively recent thing. When I was younger I used to like to hear all the ships on the Tyne blowing their horns at the stroke of midnight.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

New Year fireworks seemed to start at the Millenium & carried on after that.

When I was young my parents & a few friends of theirs used to each buy a box of fireworks & have a party in one families' garden.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Our family always had a knack for buying boxes that were full of dudd fireworks, one bonfire night was so memorable for the fact that half the fireworks emitted a faint glow, a slight spark and then went out like a light. I think the sparklers were probably the most exciting thing at our house, at least you know what you're getting with a sparkler!

Comment

What a display!!

Comment

Once Mum had finished turning the back garden into a minefield we used to light indoor fireworks.

Comment

As a kid, we couldn't afford a box of fireworks.

The idea was that you made a guy out of Dads old clothes, stuff it with straw and then make a sign 'penny for the guy' and then got adults to give you money if you'd done a decent job of the guy. With the proceeds you bought fireworks. Even then you were only able to buy small ones, that we called bangers or jumping jacks. Down to the local field/park/hideaway and let them off.

But better than this was the 6th Novemeber. Yes, the 6th. The day after.

I used to hunt for the spend rockets (they have to come down somewhere), roman candles or whatever I came across and extract the unburned gunpowder. Make a pile of this stuff and light it to create a 'genie'.

Dangerous or what eh ?

Comment

Fireworks never really did it for me. Used to get a board game or toy instead.
                  "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

We would make our guy out of old clothes stuffed with newspaper and a pillowcase head with a mask the best place for collecting was outside the local pub we would also spend about two weeks beforehand going door to door collecting wood for the bonfire i always remember the collecting and building of the fire as the best part along with spuds parkin and treacle toffee.

Comment

We sometimes had a box of fireworks but there were always a couple of duds and the rest were never as impressive as they looked on the box. I remember the Catherine wheel usually flew off the fence too. My parents like to remember a power cut during the 70's that fell on Guy Fawks night. Everyone loved it except me. I screamed the house down!
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

in the 70's i lived on an RAF base and every year there was a free display for everyone to watch.........i loved the smell in the air on that night............one of those smells you wish you could bottle up.

Comment

Working...
                        X