Olympic Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Games

What was everybody's favourite Olympics?
    My theory is that you get less interested in the Olympics as you get older. I vaguely remember Montreal, mainly for the opening ceremony with all the flags. My mum had bought me the Ladybird Book of Flags, so I was scanning the screen to see if there were any I recognised, and remember being hugely proud that I was able to recognise Brazil before the commentator said 'this is Brazil'!

First one I remember sport from is Moscow. A lot of the focus was Ovett v Coe, I was definitely an Ovett fan because he just seemed cooler, I found Coe pretty annoying tbh. So I was well happy that Ovett won the first race (800m) but annoyingly, Coe won the second, more glamorous one (1500m).

Another thing I remember was gymnastics. I don't know anything about the sport, but I remember there was some controversy with Nadia Comanech's scoring - the Russians had marked her artificially low to help some Russian. And it kicked off royally - the whole hall was booing and started chanting 'Nadia, Nadia'. I didn't know much about the politics of it, but looking back, it was probably a load of Russians being rebellious, not liking the fact that the authorities were rigging the competition against a Romanian who was clearly superior to all their country's contestants. I was just ten, and liked the fact that such a genteel sport as gymnastics was degenerating into such 'aggro'!

84 in LA was the best, when my interest peaked. It was so glamorous and so American! (I feel differently now, but when I was 14, America in general and California in particular had a kind of cachet about it... I think it was watching endless TJ Hooker that did it!)

Weirdly, I read that after Montreal's financial disaster in 76, it was decided that the 84 games should to go to Iran, because with the oil, they were the only country who could pay for it. But then the Ayatollah overthrew the Shah and banned competitive sport (78-9), and Los Angeles was offered it after Jimmy Carter said they could have some costs underwritten by federal government. Didn't do him a lot of good, Reagan was President by the time the Games came, but the American economy was doing better, so most of the money came through private sponsorship anyway (I think it was the first time we saw slogans like 'SUCH AND SUCH - OFFICIAL SUPPLIER OF STUFF TO THE 1984 OLYMPIC GAMES'.)

The actual sport was great, Zola Budd tripping Mary Decker, Daley Thomson winning gold and taking the p*** out of everyone at his press conferences, Coe (who I still found annoying) lost to a Brazilian in the 800m, Carl Lewis winning four golds, I was so Olympic mad at this point I even watched the show jumping on the final day!

88 was rubbish because all the stuff was on at about 7am (South Korea was hours ahead, ruined the 2002 WC as well), and then when we found out about Ben Johnson it became a case of 'what's the point of watching this, they're all on drugs anyway?' I didn't take much interest in Olympics after that, apart from the football tournaments that got better once people like Klinsmann and Caniggia were allowed to compete. I think it became an under 23 competition or something like that.

Can't say I'm too enthusiastic about the London Games with all the problems the UK has at the moment, it just feels like an added one.

Re: Olympic Games

in fact ive got more into it as time has went on.

my first i seen was 84 in moscow.
    thats when daley thompson was at his best.
    he retained his olympic title in 84.
    one of my fave athletes,along with jess ennis,kelly holmes sally gunnell etc.
    here is sally in barcelona 92 winning gold.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5-9yQqDRkA
    fact that the olympics was on early in the morning like in seoul 88 never annoyed me.
    i just sat up,never slept at all.
    will never be johnson cheating.
    i remember seeing it on the news that he tested positive for nandralone i think.

im a fan of pretty much all olympic sports.
    i just love sport.

are we allowed to count the olympics after the nineties.
    this site is about the seventies eighties and nineties.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
      thats when daley thompson was at his best.
      he retained his olympic title in 84.
      one of my fave athletes,along with jess ennis,kelly holmes sally gunnell etc.
      For me, Daley was the best. To be able to switch between 10 very different events and perform equally well in all of them - except possibly the 1500m, but then, he usually only had to jog round to get the necessary points - surely made him the best British athlete of all time. His decathlon in Los Angeles was totally compelling. The Olympics were never quite the same for me when he stopped competing, as he had it all - brilliant performance, a cheeky personality and he was British so he could stick it to all the other countries, especially the Eastern bloc, that we were at least the best at something!
      Go Daley!

Oh yeah, and whenever Daley is mentioned, it reminds me of something my mum said once. She hates sport, and we were watching some awards ceremony where DT was presenting something. There was all the spiel before he came on and a video "Daley Thompson, twice Olympic Gold medallist, held the world decathlon record, etc etc", Commonwealth titles, European competitions what have you, and my mum just looked totally unimpressed and announced without any kind of irony or sarcasm, "Well he could've done more with his time!"
      Last edited by stockportyears; 08-11-2010, 16:16.

Comment

i loved his fierce rivalry with jurgen hingsen.
        daley always got the better of him.

here are a few clips.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sSF1a2dww0
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiWkjM4Rc3Q
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CczobnUhjQ

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          i loved his fierce rivalry with jurgen hingsen.
          daley always got the better of him.

here are a few clips.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sSF1a2dww0
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiWkjM4Rc3Q
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CczobnUhjQ
          Just love the biased commentary - 'Hingsen from Daley, Hingsen from Daley'!
          I remember the high jump and pole vault were the most visually stunning and exciting events to watch. It was school hols, so I'd be watching it with friends in somebody's front room and everything would go silent as Daley started his run up then explode once he had cleared!

Comment

the high jump i remember it was daley's third and final attempt and if he had failed he most likely would not have won.
            but he did clear it.

i also remember hingsen false starting twice in the first event and being dq'd.
            was it the olympics or world champs in happened in.
            was the very first event im sure of that.

Comment

The first time I remember being interested in the olympic games was 1972 when they were held in Munich.The games themselves were overshadowed by the Black September terrorist hostage tragedy. Mark Spitz won 7 Gold medals in the swimming (even with longish hair AND a moustache!) Olga Korbut was the cheeky gymnast and my younger brother was looking for a dog when the comentator mentioned the Finnish runner Lasse Viren.
              "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I remember all olympics since the 1984 one. I've enjoyed all of them, along with the commonwealth games.

There was a really good behind the scenes series called 16 Days Of Glory about the 1984 games, which followed many of the potential winners, & most hunches were correct.
                Last edited by Richard1978; 08-11-2010, 19:33.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Ever seen Animalypmpics?
                  WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
                    Ever seen Animalypmpics?
                    Now is that the film version of Laffalympics?

Comment

Working...
                    X