Donkey Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donkey Jacket

Donkey jackets were an 80's trend. Worn for years by Miners up North, this was the only coat a lot of them owned. They were either black or dark blue woollen mid length jackets with large plastic buttons and 2 big pockets up the front . The signature piece was the same colour plastic panelling across the shoulders.These have recently come back into fashion with the likes of Paul Smith reviving the design. Although, they are much more expensive and possibly of better quality.

More...

Re: Donkey Jacket

I remember our bin men wearing them - council issue with orange plastic over the shoulders. One shoulder was always black from carrying the bins.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Famous donkey jacket wearers:
      Arthur Scargill, when leading pickets during the miner's strike.
      The Flying Pickets singing group, when performing their number one 'Only You' on Top of the Pops
      Labour leader Michael Foot, rather unwisely at the Cenotaph remembrance ceremony. He got absolutely slaughtered in the press for supposedly being disrespectful, I don't think he was deliberately being so, but he didn't seem interested in any kind of image advice, and seemed unaware how things could be preceived, despite being a hugely intelligent man in other ways.

Comment

I've also seen them with suede panels over the shoulders.

My Dad has often mentioned Michael Foot wearing one at the cenotaph, & getting a lot of negative publicity for it.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I had a donkey jacket when they were in 'fashion' in the early 80's when I was a kid. I really liked mine even though my Dad said it made me look like a bin man!
          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Working...
          X