Initial Teaching Alphabet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Teaching Alphabet

Although I learned this way of reading in the mid 60s in Infant School, I am not sure when it was phased out in schools. It may have still been used in the 70s.

Did anyone else here learn this and if so, do you think it helped or hindered your progress? I'm not really sure, but I seem to remember finding the adjustment to the normal alphabet a bit confusing at first.
    Also I seem to remember the reading books were about Peter, Sally and Jet the dog? Does that ring a bell?
    sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Re: Initial Teaching Alphabet

I remember a tin of alphabet soup exploding at school one day. It very nearly spelt disaster.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ita 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	259841Click image for larger version

Name:	ita2.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	259842Click image for larger version

Name:	ita5.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	259843Click image for larger version

Name:	ita3.jpg
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	259844

Here are a few examples.
      sigpic

Comment

We never had anything like that.I seem to remember a laminated card thing you ran you finger round to learn how to write letters.Of course we learned to say the letters different.Think it was called phonetically.

tulip

Comment

I never knew anything like that existed, but can imagine it would be confusing if you learned from that then had to switch to proper words.

Speaking of the alphabet, I always remember there being two ways of singing it. There was the American 'Sesame Street' sort of way...A B C D E F G (pause) H I J K LMNOP (pause) QRS TUV WX Y and ZEE which I didn't like, or the way I learned... A B C D E F G H I J K L M (pause) N O P Q R S T U V W X Y ZED.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

I thought I didn't remember it but looking at the examples i do have veague memories of it, it will have been from the early to mid 70's.
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by zip55 View Post
              I remember a tin of alphabet soup exploding at school one day. It very nearly spelt disaster.

boom boom
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by zip55 View Post
                Are you here all week?!
                sigpic

Comment

I remember this very well! It's one of my earliest memories from infant school. My Mum didn't agree with this method of teaching as it set me back with my reading and complained to the school. It turned out most mothers at the school had complained too. Even now I sometimes have to stop and think about how things are spelled because of this! I remember that 'curly w' instead of the 'oo' in words nearly sent my Mum over the edge!! lol
                  Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I've heard of this system & too many parents & children found it confusing & hard to adjust to standard writing.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I have to say I wish I hadn't learnt this myself. I don't think it was a good system.

The books I learned from were the Downing Readers, featuring Paul, Sally and Jet the dog.

What years were you learning this, Stuckinthe80s?

sigpic

Comment

It will have been 1977ish. I'm sure it's the same thing! That rounded 'w' really sticks in my mind! I'll ask my Mum at the weekend about it. She'll know more than me.
                        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I could pretty much read before I started school but my class were taught I.T.A reading and writing. Apart from taking ages to remember 'of' was spelt with an f not a v, I don't think it particularly helped or hindered me.

It's a wonder someone hasn't decided it would be idea to teach children phonetically again...oh yes... they have...
                          "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Hmmmm,this would explain why my man's a little dyslexic.I must ask if he learned this way!!

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                              Are you here all week?!
                              Sorry Kazboot I don't know what you mean

Comment

Working...
                              X