• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trainers of your day/era

Velcro...

Comment

cheers sly thats it.
      i could not tie my laces till i was 16 so they where very handy trainers.
      did not take long putting them on or getting them off.

Originally posted by Sly View Post
      Velcro...
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Of all all the trainers I've has I think most have been Reebok, not that I ever remember going out of my way to stick to one brand, my current ones are Addidas.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I guess that I was similar regards as what Richard as said. I remember now thnking about Trainers, that having the tounges out on Trainers dicated what brand was "in" at the time too very often as did how you had your laces done to a lesser degree.

Comment

Re: adidas trainers

i did wear reebok and umbro trainers from memory.

i never really bought any one particular brand just whatever i liked.

a lot of the i time just bought the cheapest ones regrdless of brand.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Re: Trainer Trends

Can anyone recall the LIme Green Trainers that did were popular in the early to mid 90s. I forget who made them, but they looked very like they did'nt belong to the era of the time, from what I can recall/how I thought about them then at the time. Somehow though thinking back and giving it in-depth thought (may-be as I grow older etc etc) they have really grown on me and it makes me think, they have got to the status of a true "fashion icon" of the time that was laughed at quite a bit from people I knew then.

Not as I ever owned any but if they are loved and liked even say 5/10/15% more now, they have done well I think to bethought of like so I think. I guess this is what nostagla can achieve in a way as it is not thought of the first time round like so with many fashion styles until year's later - this is what makes such thing's I feel somehow.

Comment

I remember my brother had some quirky green & silver ones made by Inter. This would have been 1987-8.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I had a pair of Voit basketball boots that came from a market stall. The soles fell off them after a few weeks. Must have been crappy knock-offs as my dad had spent 3 months working in the US and said that Voit were one of the quality 'cool' brands there. My folks woulnd never spend money on branded footwear so I then ended up with a pair of white and lime-green ACC boots from Fosters menswear. I wore them for PE at school and the teacher always made us tuck in the tongues of our boots before we were allowed to do any activities!

Comment

Not particularly from my childhood but more so from the mid 80's I loved my Adidas Trim Trab's and Diadora Venice. Currently comfortable in brown with red stripe Adidas Ciero's. What has me puzzled is the trainers have to look 'distressed', as soon as you got a pair you scuffed them, battered them, played football with them to get them looking right as soon as possible, now kids want them to look pristeen, what's the world coming to eh ? have they no sense of style ?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	diadora-22nrcn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	260123

From 'Shoot' magazine circa 1984.
                      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

My first pair of expensive trainers were reebok with a hexagon on the sole that was like an air bubble on the nikes. That would've been 1993/1994.

My first pair of nikes was in 1996 and they were for school!

Currently wearing Adidas ones, similar to campus ones but no idea what they actually are called as my mum got me them in Florida last year.

Comment

I guess that I have always appreciated my Trainers - not in the 1980s, as they never interested me until about I was about 12. Though it is amazing to think of how the styles have changed in the last 30 years, though I think the last 20 (or at least from the 1990s had better ones).

I can not recall too many types recieving any attention from me in the 1980s - hence why I never botherd about them I guess in a way. Indeed though the Humble Training Shoe as ithey used to be known as), has devloped a long long way I think - even since the 1970s with such an arry of choice, pattern, style etc.

80sChav

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346943839.524004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	260124

My current trainers.

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered toast man View Post
                              I had a pair of Voit basketball boots that came from a market stall. The soles fell off them after a few weeks. Must have been crappy knock-offs as my dad had spent 3 months working in the US and said that Voit were one of the quality 'cool' brands there. My folks woulnd never spend money on branded footwear so I then ended up with a pair of white and lime-green ACC boots from Fosters menswear. I wore them for PE at school and the teacher always made us tuck in the tongues of our boots before we were allowed to do any activities!
                              I can not understand why this would be so with the Tongues Powdered Toast Man. Though at my School - even until Year 9, Plimsolls was still (sadly) fine for PE as the order of the day Lol.

Comment

Ahh, the big tounge style!! I had a pair of troop cobra. They were black, white and had a black&green snake pattern on the sides. Didn't bother with laces cos they had velcro straps! Very cool, honest...

I remember, I had a pair of Walter Payton roos with a velcro pocket in the tounge.
                                White, orange & navy. Chicago bears colours!

Originally posted by xangeleyes View Post
                                Can someone help us out, my husband keeps going on (and on and on and on) about 2 different pairs of trainers he used to have, one was with a tongue that had a velcro pocket on it.
                                The other had some kind of ball maze game underneath the trainer itself........any ideas??
                                Walter Payton roos had a velcro pocket in the tongue!

Comment

Working...
                                X