Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Stop!

Remember these?

All of the current crop of 'Road Wars'/'Police! Camera! Action!'-type shows owe a great deal to the original 'Police Stop!' videos released around the early-to-mid '90s.

There were 4 volumes plus 'Police Stop! America' and they all showed footage of various motoring misdemeaners and car chases from Police cars' cameras, helicopter footage and roadside cameras, and they were narrated by Graham Cole (P.C. Stamp off of 'The Bill').

They could also be instructional - "Only a fool breaks the two-second rule!". They sold really well at the time, and I'll never forget (as a student) watching the large crowd of shoppers who gathered outside 'Our Price' in Colchester on a Saturday when staff put one of the videos on the screens facing out of the shop windows.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Re: Police Stop!

I never actually got round to watching one of these but they can be found in nearly every Charity shop in the country along with the obligatory, Star Wars episode 1 video, a Neighbours game and a foot spa.

Comment

The opening titles were always good for retro fans as they showed a Police Wolseley 6/80, then a Rover P6, then a modern ('L' reg) Rover 800 with the blues and twos going before the title appeared. Each section of each video was marked out by a flashing blue light, a short drum-heavy bit of music and Graham Cole announcing the title of the section ("Porsches", "Motorway Chase", etc.)

Comment

I remember borrowing a copy of one of my friends when it first came out.

A few years later I got one from a Cash Exchange for £1.

The 1990s Jeremy Clarkson videos are also easy to find in charity shops.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

A lot of the fairly recent Clarkson DVDs are easy to find in charity shops as well. I don't buy those though, as I've no real interest in paying to watch someone else - on an ego trip - thrashing around in supercars and destroying the cars he hates.

ITV4 have recently continually repeated the 'Police Stop!' videos as programmes late at night. I don't know if they're still doing that.

One by-product I've just remembered was Alexi Sayle's spoof on his sketch show - 'Police Stop that *%$*ing car' - which showed someone waterskiing behind a car on a wet motorway, and a fixed camera shot of a motorcycle display team human pyramid.

Also, there was another video, cashing in on the success of 'Police Stop!' called 'Police In Pursuit' - a similar sort of thing, but with (sometimes) lower quality footage.

Comment

I think Clarksons dvds get donated a lot cause theyre the kind of thing that only gets watched once, same as the Coronation street and Emmerdale DVDs that come out at Xmas

Comment

Working...
            X