Scoop and Save

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoop and Save

Does anyone else remeber these shops or was it just a midlands thing? you could buy Teabags, Coffee, Cornflakes etc and you used to weigh them out your self and they were always kept in barrels and you lifted the lids up and used a scoop thing, they were probably good for pensioners if they only required small amounts of something.
    I havent seen one of these shops for about 15 years i suspect they may have been stopped cause of health and safety stupidness.

Re: Scoop and Save

I remember these sort of shops. They were really popular. You could even get washing powder in them!!
    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

There was one round here called 'U-Weigh'. It might still be going, I'll have to look next time I'm in town.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

We still have on in Newcastle under Lyme in Staffordshire. I've only ever been in once about two years back I mainly bought cereal and dried fruit.
        Heather

Comment

There was a place like this in Stockport until a couple of years ago called Weigh Station.

I used to get x packets of sweets for a pound that were near to their best before date.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
            I remember these sort of shops. They were really popular. You could even get washing powder in them!!

so they are like a general store you can get more or less anything in them.

we have pound shops over here where you can get near anything in them for a quid.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Yeah more or less you could also buy cheapish normal stuff like what you would get in Farmfoods and Heron, we have Poundland too but i think the only food they sell is big bags of Malteasers and boxes of round Tofifees for a quid.

Comment

We had a few shops called Supascoops but they've been gone for years.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

There used to be one in Piccadilly Gardens and anther in the manchester Arndale Centre
                  WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

I think I remember passing the one in the Manchester Arndale Centre.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

We used to have one here,think it was only sweets it sold though.I remember either Fine Fare or Gateway did it too.

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        so they are like a general store you can get more or less anything in them.

we have pound shops over here where you can get near anything in them for a quid.
                        Nothing like pound shops or general stores. Nearly everything was in huge tubs on the floor and you scooped the amount you wanted into clear bags and had it weighed at the counter. You paid for the amount you needed not a pre pack size.
                        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

We used to have them here in the Midlands, but like some of you say, Health and Safety brigade could have stopped them. I find that a shame, because a lot of people live on their own, pensioners for example, and some are on limited means, and it was great to just go in and buy a few tea bags or a few glace cherries?

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
                            We used to have them here in the Midlands, but like some of you say, Health and Safety brigade could have stopped them.
                            Dont think so, it only like pick and mix after all.Plus have you ever seen all the grannys squeezing and pinching the fruit and veg now theres a stomach turning thought!
                            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                              Dont think so, it only like pick and mix after all.Plus have you ever seen all the grannys squeezing and pinching the fruit and veg now theres a stomach turning thought!
                              It beats them squeezing and pinching my cheeks when I was a nipper, There was no consideration for Health & safety then. I wish they had stuck to fruit and veg!
                              Last edited by Grosh62; 17-11-2010, 14:09. Reason: Traumatized

Comment

Working...
                              X