Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Britpop Bandwagon

Default Re: The Britpop Bandwagon

Agree with the love for Space, great band, avenging angels has always been one of my favourite songs. There was a song I remembered hearing on TV years ago and then spent a good deal of time looking for it across the internet but to no avail. A few weeks back I had Absolute Radio 90's on in the background and the very song popped up, turns out it was by Shed Seven, another decent band.

Also a fan of the obvious two Blur and Oasis and always liked Suede too. It's that time of the year again when seemingly every band and artist is pushing out an album for Christmas, I see Suede have released a greatest hits compilation which I admit is actually tempting me.

Always wondered if 90's group Republica would be classed as Britpop? I'm sure they were about during the Britpop era but only had one or two hits, the main one is always used on the Halfords adverts and played at football grounds.

I also liked Suede, and as you've mention them I have to throw in my list

Oasis, Blur Pulp,Cast,Supergrass,Space, Ocean Colour Scene and Dodgy...well if its good enough for you its good enough for me!!

Blimey I never realised I was so into 'Britpop'

Do Radiohead,Reef and The levellers count?? If so that just about covers most of the Albums I bought in the 90's.

Also do The Verve count?

I reckon they all count if they were British and were releasing music around that era. I must admit that I found it strange at the time that it seemed to be a movement - we've always had British pop bands after all. However, I do look back on those years as being the 'Britpop' years, as it was one of the defining 1990s things, just as the New Romantics were '80s, or Punk, Glam Rock and Disco were '70s.

I recall reading an interview recently with Jarvis Cocker who said that it was a shame that Britpop never had a 'Band Aid/Live Aid' moment. Whereas, in the '80s many of the bands and artists who were having big hits at the time all got together, Britpop bands never really had an event in which they all met or collaborated on something.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

it is something that should be done.
    why not all brit acts or lots of them get together say once every decade ad do a band aid type concert.
    they earn so much money it would be very good to help those less fortunate.

it would also reflect well on them.

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    it is something that should be done.
    why not all brit acts or lots of them get together say once every decade ad do a band aid type concert.
    they earn so much money it would be very good to help those less fortunate.

it would also reflect well on them.
    There are so many festivals these days, it would probably make it less of an event. Pop festivals really weren't that widespread in the 80s... I hardly ever heard Glastonbury talked about, for instance, and I think it only attracted minor acts. In the 80s, the record industry was far bigger than the live music scene for acts such as Duran and Wham! Yes, they did tours etc, but every major city didn't have a huge arena like today. Duran Duran, for instance, would come to Manchester and the biggest place they could play was the Apollo! A 1983 Duran Duran could've sold out the M-E-N for a week if it had been around then.

Band Aid changed the face of live music totally, making it popular for stadiums to regularly hold such events, and eventually paving the way for such venues as MEN Arena, Sheffield, Liverpool Echo and O2.

Actually did quite like The Verve.

Another band I liked for a while was Wire. Eardrum Buzz is a top tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoBXsZh2XZE

I liked The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays a lot more than the 'Britpop' era bands. I got skitted for liking the latter but they did make some decent records, loved Kinky Afro.

My favourite album from around this time and still one of the best debuts (IMO) was Garbage' first album. Still gets a regular airing these days along with Definately maybe and Whats the story. Was never a big fan of Blur or The Stone roses though.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

What a brilliant, brilliant era this was, it was an era I will never ever ever forget. Probably it all started on the fringes with Gabrielle in the very early 90s and East 17 etc - then the impact occured in 1995 with Oasis becoming mega and then all the others that was aroiund like Chumbawamba, Blur, Pulp etc

This sure was an era I feel blessed immensly to have lived through - though it would not be easy to define it's exact year-span in time I think, but it sure makes makes me wonder thanks to modern trash manfactured Bands - will we ever see this kind of era again (though of course it was not in the 1960s to 90s, a slight rendition of such a wave (not Britpop as such) of music occured in 2007 with Just Jack, Mika and a few others)

I think on reflection - may-be it would be very very to include James into the Brit-pop termonolgy - though that would be extending/re-winding as far back as 1991 of course, when I first knew they was big!

80sChav

Quote Originally Posted by Trickyvee View Post
    I've never thrown my knickers at you and I don't come from Wales.
    There's a joke in that but I wont say lest I upset Admin/mods

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.