X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Britpop Bandwagon

Originally posted by darren View Post
    it is something that should be done.
    why not all brit acts or lots of them get together say once every decade ad do a band aid type concert.
    they earn so much money it would be very good to help those less fortunate.

it would also reflect well on them.
    There are so many festivals these days, it would probably make it less of an event. Pop festivals really weren't that widespread in the 80s... I hardly ever heard Glastonbury talked about, for instance, and I think it only attracted minor acts. In the 80s, the record industry was far bigger than the live music scene for acts such as Duran and Wham! Yes, they did tours etc, but every major city didn't have a huge arena like today. Duran Duran, for instance, would come to Manchester and the biggest place they could play was the Apollo! A 1983 Duran Duran could've sold out the M-E-N for a week if it had been around then.

Band Aid changed the face of live music totally, making it popular for stadiums to regularly hold such events, and eventually paving the way for such venues as MEN Arena, Sheffield, Liverpool Echo and O2.

Comment

Actually did quite like The Verve.

Another band I liked for a while was Wire. Eardrum Buzz is a top tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoBXsZh2XZE

I liked The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays a lot more than the 'Britpop' era bands. I got skitted for liking the latter but they did make some decent records, loved Kinky Afro.

Comment

My favourite album from around this time and still one of the best debuts (IMO) was Garbage' first album. Still gets a regular airing these days along with Definately maybe and Whats the story. Was never a big fan of Blur or The Stone roses though.
        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

What a brilliant, brilliant era this was, it was an era I will never ever ever forget. Probably it all started on the fringes with Gabrielle in the very early 90s and East 17 etc - then the impact occured in 1995 with Oasis becoming mega and then all the others that was aroiund like Chumbawamba, Blur, Pulp etc

This sure was an era I feel blessed immensly to have lived through - though it would not be easy to define it's exact year-span in time I think, but it sure makes makes me wonder thanks to modern trash manfactured Bands - will we ever see this kind of era again (though of course it was not in the 1960s to 90s, a slight rendition of such a wave (not Britpop as such) of music occured in 2007 with Just Jack, Mika and a few others)

I think on reflection - may-be it would be very very to include James into the Brit-pop termonolgy - though that would be extending/re-winding as far back as 1991 of course, when I first knew they was big!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
            I've never thrown my knickers at you and I don't come from Wales.
            There's a joke in that but I wont say lest I upset Admin/mods
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

As well as Suede, who remembers the other "fabric" bands, Corduroy and Denim? I especially liked Corduroy's "Mini".

Also, Ocean Colour Scene's "River Boat Song; Kingmaker's "Really Scrape the Sky": Cud's "Rich and Strange" and "Purple Love Balloon".

Comment

loved the era remember bands such as Marion, Lush, Echobelly, Republica to name a few, preferred Madchester but there's not much to pick between them.

Comment

I feel so privalaged to have lived through this era of thge mid 90s - growing up - going to College for the 2nd time, afterr the first time was a total diasater for me upon going t
                  first trying it before moving back to where we oginaly lived.

I can always remember this sort of mate saying - listen to this on his Headphones (and this must have been Summer 1995) and listening to Sally Can Wait by Oasis and thinking "£yeah ok, this is ok to average", but I have heard better ..... but then just like listening to bands like James you only realise years, years later what a time it was and you are so thankful you was in that era to appreciate them. It was the same hearing a Backstreet Boys Song ealer on and then thinking about 5ive (as for some reason I always connect this 2 Boy Bands). That though truly was the end of Brit-Pop I think - there was A1 not long after - just into the 200s, but James and Bros began it wuith Take That taking it to an immensly high level around 1991/92/93 then Oasis/Blur/Pulp, The Lightening Seeds etc in mid 90s and finally ending around 1999 with 5ive!

80sChav

Comment

I sure would include the ledgend that is robbie williams in this category too - without a doubt!

I can recall exactly what i was doing that night in 1997 ( a saturday I believe) that he sang it for the first time on Parky 9Michael Parkinsons Show) and after i had said to my Grandma - who was that then?, as he had been off the sve for 2/3 years and just looked and sounded so different that night! Of course robbie hadhis problems and issues like us all - but he got over his demons and now is a honourable loving family man who worships his family 100 Trillion%

It would have been ace to see him in the Super-est of "Super-groups" - Oasis - I know he pinned and longed to be with them/be them - but as much as I love Oasis too - this did'nt happen for Robbie and who knows what might of become of him - if he had got in with them (as he sings in Angels - "I know that life won't break me"), being in Oasis could have elvated him to even more of a Superstar (up their with Elvis and Michael Jackson etc) or broke him (as hethe opposite of what he say's in Angels), but one or two things that i a sure of (though they probably merge into one) is that I take my hat off to him and if ever I met him I'd tell him - "I know the Boat you was pining to be in (** or the feeling rather) wanting to be in Oasis, as though i'm only a Joe Bloggs I can resenate with him - how so so badly such "a want of a feel is"! ......

Comment

In the early-mid 90s a mate of my then GF who we used to hang out with worked at MTV, she was often hob-nobbing with celebs (she rented Annie Lennox's flat which had a massive mirror wall in the lounge with "LIVE" on it). Anyway, she used to hang with Alex James from Blur a fair bit, Jarvis Cocker hated him and would beat him up whenever he saw him, allegedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                        In the early-mid 90s a mate of my then GF who we used to hang out with worked at MTV, she was often hob-nobbing with celebs (she rented Annie Lennox's flat which had a massive mirror wall in the lounge with "LIVE" on it). Anyway, she used to hang with Alex James from Blur a fair bit, Jarvis C*cker hated him and would beat him up whenever he saw him, allegedly.
                        Jarvis is a legend round where I gre up Mullentino - a great singer .... i love his rusty/rustic voice - which is so different from Joe's (though I dont believe Joe's claims that Jarvis is'nt his son)

As well as Jarvis - the band James too was equaly a-part of Brit-Pop too I'd say!

80sChav

Comment

Gabrielle and East 17 are another great 2 examples of the Brit Pop era and in-particular Gabrielle with/feat East 17 with "If you Ever" - that truly was ana amazing soull song that was a 60s thowback - it is just such a treadgedy life "got" Brian Harvey as it did with his demons. They complemented each other amazingly as the "Soul Music of Men and Woman" in that short short era of 1994-1998 - Gabrielle being the Queen of Soul to Brian's King

In-fact I was listenting to some of Gabrielle's stuff just last night and though I don't know every song word for word - I knew versuses of nearly all songs that I had forgot (and in particular Play To Win) - like the memorable ( I think I'd term it as chorus) of "If You Ever"

Other honourable mentions of sort of Brit-Pop era Music must go to Whigfield and Saturday Night and Haddoway with "What Is Love" Mc Hammer - though he was more known in the very early 90s I'd say ....... bvut regardless all these are memories of bering at Mmy grandparents Saturday Night (pardoning the Whigfield pun) here to Sunday Morning/Afternoo and watching the likes of the O-Zone etc (and all the other array of other shows that offered Music Gossip/Vids) on a Sunday Morning (and to boot too) all thi after the same of a saturday Morn with Going lLve and The 8.15 From Manchester etc etc.

Sunday Morning Music TV, I can sketchily recall watching in 1997 - the year my beloved Barnsley had our 1 amazing "Brazilan Season" and got tto the Premiership for 1 Season of batterings ..... but yeah going back to that Brit-Pop era - which I suppose is equally as Sketcchy as my memory of these bands on TV in 97, which I guess depends on each individual's take from 1990 or 1993 right up to 1998 was really the time of my life and one (as I have said ) was a time I felt so prvalaged to have been a-live in/lived through!

80sChav

Comment

The Wonder Stuff and Carter USM spring to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                              Jarvis is a legend round where I gre up Mullentino - a great singer .... i love his rusty/rustic voice - which is so different from Joe's (though I dont believe Joe's claims that Jarvis is'nt his son)

As well as Jarvis - the band James too was equaly a-part of Brit-Pop too I'd say!

80sChav

James were definitely a part of Madchester and not Brit Pop although they were still around through the Brit Pop era and still are.

Comment

I liked Mike Flowers Pops, Denim, No Way Sis, Nancy Boy. Anyone like them?

Comment

Working...
                                X