The Britpop Bandwagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Britpop Bandwagon

After the mid-'90s Britpop explosion which saw the likes of Blur, Oasis, Supergrass, Pulp and Suede taking the charts by storm, it seemed that everyone wanted to jump on the bandwagon, and in '96 and '97 there was a multitude of smaller names getting their 15 minutes of fame.

I was a bit of a fan of The Candyskins, who had a minor hit with 'Monday Morning', but I always felt deserved more. The Bluetones did well, especially with 'Slight Return' which I must admit to liking. Then there was Shed Seven, Gene, Babybird, etc. I also liked a very short-lived band called Hillman Minx whose output totalled two singles.

Were there any Britpop understudies you liked at the time?

I should say, before anyone else does, that I realise a lot of the bands I mentioned had been going before the mid-'90s, but they never really had many hits until the Britpop scene took hold.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Re: The Britpop Bandwagon

I remember the music press getting all excited over late period bands like Gay Dad & Rialto, even more than most of the general public.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Couple of other bands from that era - Cast and Space
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
        Couple of other bands from that era - Cast and Space
        By a weird coincidence, when I woke up this morning, I had 'The Ballad Of Tom Jones' by Space & Cerys Matthews playing in my head, and it's been there most of the day!

Comment

I've never thrown my knickers at you and I don't come from Wales.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

I liked Mansun, even through to the early 2000s and the stuff most people weren't much interested in.
            Their video for the song Legacy, featuring Action Man-like dolls acting out the rise and fall of a rock band, was one of my favourite videos of the time.

Dodgy had a couple of great singles.

The Sundays were my favourite band of the 90s, though, but never got caught in the Britpop wave - they released in 92, before it started, and 97 after it finished!

Comment

Have to say I thought Britpop was really overrated. I liked Supergrass a lot and Blur and Oasis made a couple of decent albums but that was about it for me.

To add to previous bands already mentioned, can also remember stuff like Elastica and Sleeper. Not an era I look back on with much affection though, it's telling that most faded away soon after that scene ended.

Comment

Sleeper were really good imo. Their 'Pleased To Meet You' album is great!! I still listen to it now.
                Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Space were a great band; their two albums from the era, Spiders and Tin Planet are well worth a listen.

Comment

I saw Space live in 1998/1999 they were amazing, great band IMO.
                    Heather

Comment

Agree with the love for Space, great band, avenging angels has always been one of my favourite songs. There was a song I remembered hearing on TV years ago and then spent a good deal of time looking for it across the internet but to no avail. A few weeks back I had Absolute Radio 90's on in the background and the very song popped up, turns out it was by Shed Seven, another decent band.

Also a fan of the obvious two Blur and Oasis and always liked Suede too. It's that time of the year again when seemingly every band and artist is pushing out an album for Christmas, I see Suede have released a greatest hits compilation which I admit is actually tempting me.

Always wondered if 90's group Republica would be classed as Britpop? I'm sure they were about during the Britpop era but only had one or two hits, the main one is always used on the Halfords adverts and played at football grounds.

Comment

I also liked Suede, and as you've mention them I have to throw in my list

Oasis, Blur Pulp,Cast,Supergrass,Space, Ocean Colour Scene and Dodgy...well if its good enough for you its good enough for me!!

Blimey I never realised I was so into 'Britpop'

Do Radiohead,Reef and The levellers count?? If so that just about covers most of the Albums I bought in the 90's.
                        Heather

Comment

Also do The Verve count?
                          sigpic

Comment

I reckon they all count if they were British and were releasing music around that era. I must admit that I found it strange at the time that it seemed to be a movement - we've always had British pop bands after all. However, I do look back on those years as being the 'Britpop' years, as it was one of the defining 1990s things, just as the New Romantics were '80s, or Punk, Glam Rock and Disco were '70s.

I recall reading an interview recently with Jarvis Cocker who said that it was a shame that Britpop never had a 'Band Aid/Live Aid' moment. Whereas, in the '80s many of the bands and artists who were having big hits at the time all got together, Britpop bands never really had an event in which they all met or collaborated on something.

Comment

it is something that should be done.
                              why not all brit acts or lots of them get together say once every decade ad do a band aid type concert.
                              they earn so much money it would be very good to help those less fortunate.

it would also reflect well on them.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X