Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Britpop Bandwagon

Originally posted by fatpizzaman View Post
    I liked Mike Flowers Pops, Denim, No Way Sis, Nancy Boy. Anyone like them?
    Mike Flowers Pops were funny.

Did Denim do that song that went "Officer, I'm sorry, but it fell off the back of a lorry"?

Comment

I saw No Way Sis - funny guys!
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

great era of music... Other bands that spring to mind that I don't think have been mentioned are The Seahorses with Johnny Marr on guitar. And The Eels..
        Britpop for me was more about the sound... Very guitar driven and typified by the above as well of course by Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Ocean colour scene etc...

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Comment

Eels were/are American of course. Great, though - saw them live a coupla times

Comment

I liked Portishead, the Cardigans, and the Manic Street Preachers, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
              I liked Portishead, the Cardigans, and the Manic Street Preachers, too.
              Same... remember those two amazing Portishead albums then after what seemed like an eternity they released the third album which never really appealed to me ...I just recall a machine-gun track !?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by fatpizzaman View Post
                I liked Mike Flowers Pops, Denim, No Way Sis, Nancy Boy. Anyone like them?
                Sound kinda American??

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                  Sound kinda American??

Nope - all UK (not sure about Nancy Boy - see below).

Mike Flowers Pops were a faux-easy listening band, famous for doing a "lounge" cover of the Oasis song, Wonderwall
                  Denim were formed by Lawrence, he of Felt fame (a Peel favourite) - he has now moved on to Go Kart Mozart
                  No Way Sis were, as above, an Oasis tribute act
                  Don't recall Nancy Boy - there was a single by Placebo of that title, are you thinking of that, fatpizzaman?

Comment

Originally posted by philfrommancs View Post
                    great era of music... Other bands that spring to mind that I don't think have been mentioned are The Seahorses with Johnny Marr on guitar. And The Eels..
                    Britpop for me was more about the sound... Very guitar driven and typified by the above as well of course by Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Ocean colour scene etc...

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
                    All these were greats no doubts - basicaly there was too many to choose from I think and the "Gene" was so wide

To me this is how the 60s music era must have felt!!

80sChav

Comment

A total out and out classic I heard earlier on today was East 17 and Gabrielle with "If You Ever"

What a smoothie song this beauty was - probably made even better by the best male vocalist and best (and very underated female vocalist) that Gabrielle was back in the day

Modern Day Soul Music (as well as a real, real tearjerker indeed "If You Ever" was without any doubt. Though I'm jaundist to it bringing back heaps of memories (mainly good, but a few bad ones too personaly in a mixed up time in my life), it will always remain a classic for me .....especialy it's first line/words/intro!!!

80sChav
                      Last edited by 80sChav; 13-04-2019, 20:46.

Comment

Probably as well as the Oasis Song Don't Look Back In anger being brought out - my other 3 main memories of the Brit-Pop era are:

- The Lightening Seeds and 3 Lions in 96, when England had the last best run in a major finals until last year's efforts

- Boyzone's real early stuff - eg Love Me For A Reason and the wonderfully (and quite uniquely coverd Arms Of Mary) which is unusual for a Cover Version to work so well, but boy did they improve upon the slow boring Sutherland Brothers version. I saw Boyzone live in 97 and that feels a privalage given Stephen's sad passing as he truly had wonderful unique vocal talent. I know Boyzone are Irish really but just like Westlife they are honourary english Guys in my book - so that credits them into the Brit-Pop era in my book - given their wonderful impact on Music aand as a Boyband generaly too (in that I'd term them as the 2nd major one after Take That to be fair), just like Bananarama was the first great Girl Band I feel and then the Spice girls 2nd - though I'd not credit them as Brit-Pop but still equaly important to that mid tolate 90s and very very early 2000s era!!

- the 3rd was upo hearng Pulp and the legend that is Jarvis bringing out Disco 2000 in 95 - but I don't think i had heard it properly until 98 and was mezmorised why somebody would do a Song 9abliet yes it was 2000 and all that razmataz), but why do it 5 years before-hand lol. Equaly in relation to Blur was Puklp as their great rival and Bitter sweet Symphony - though I agree you was either for one of the 2 group's not both, but regardless for/to me both songs like the 60s Music was instrumental in being total "out and out known songs" regardless of if you hated the group's or not

Also can (though this easily was late 99 to early 2000) anyone recall A1 (not the Road/Motorway lol) though being more of a Pop Group - I'd still just about term them Brit-Pop but they had a few minor but good hits (and could sing to a decent level) esprecially in comparson to BGT and today's total rubbish!! Their biggest hit was SameOld brand New you I think and I recall it being sung live on GMTV one Morning ( or whatever ITV's Breakfast Show Name) was back then!!

80sChav

Comment

** Sorry I put Pulp did Bittersweet Symphony and meant The Verve - if Heather or HG can alter it in my thread for me and see to this one

Thanks v much

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                          X