Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dial-a-Disc

Hello - Haven't been here long myself.

Sometime into the 1980's with BT and privatization Dial-A-Disc became Discline and was sponsored by Woolworth. There was then also a separate Woolworth Albumline on a different number - Maybe that's what you have in mind?

Comment

Later than this you could make free phone calls from a phone kiosk as long as you listened to the advert first. I think it only ran for a few months
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Re: dial a disc

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
        There was also a recipe hotline called Dial A Dish.

In the 1980s & 90s there seemed to be all sorts of information services on the phone, but I guess after the worry about dodgy 0898 numbers, stories of people running up massive bills by not hanging their phones up properly & the internet they lost their niche.
        Yes, I am strongly against anyone using those sort of telephone numbers.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Wow - what a great thread .... I was unbeleveably only thinking about this minutes since, prior to visiting DYR, just now

We had these machines (or 1 rather) in our local Library before it got demolished and became all modern in another locatiopn in Town. I recall it had a Music Catalouge Company on or 1 and I think a Home study Company for GCSEs tooa nd others - though I am unsure

I often used to marvel at this machine and be scared of useing it and think "is it native only to my area/region" lol

80sChav

Comment

Another number was the engineer's number 175

If you phoned this number you could test your line
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
            X