Ways of playing with words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways of playing with words

In about 1985, towards the end of my time at primary school, there was a craze among some of my classmates for two ways of playing with words.

One of them was where you take a word and say a rhyme about that word, of the form "Rabbit-bom-babbit, stickle-abbit, five fabbit, five fabbit, stickle-abbit, that's how you spell rabbit". (If the word begins with a vowel, you stick a B or an F on the beginning of it.)

The other was a language called PK, formed by inserting the letters VG into every syllable. For example what became wovgot, and rabbit became ravgabivgit. This meant that kids could hold a conversation without adults being able to understand!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else remembers either of these crazes!

Re: Ways of playing with words

omg,is that what my son was doing. i must ring the asylum and get my son released. lol

Comment

I remember playing with words at school, but we had other ideas like backwards names or swapping name initials. Simon Johnson became Nomis Nosnoj or Jimon Sonson.

Comment

I remember me & a friend used to nickname people by saying their names backwards to they couldn't tell that we were talking about them.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

We used to speak in Swahili (before Peter Kay had thought of it) courtesy of the backs of Daktari collector cards. It was more like Ostrich Swahili but it worked.

Comment

Working...
          X