Help! Please put my mind to rest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Please put my mind to rest.

Hi....i was wondering if anyone out there can help me. I have spent hours on the internet trying to find a programme from my childhood. It could have been from the 70's or the 80's.
    My memory of it is very vague.... It was about a yound boy who was sent to stay with family in a large house in the country. He used to wake up at night and go into the garden and there strange things would happen. The main thing i remember about it is that statues in the garden used to come to life and talk to him. I think there was a young girl in it too. Now i have been told that it could be Toms Midnight Garden but i cant find any evidence of this anywhere and the latest remake of the film has no statues that come to life in it at all. Please is there anyone out there that could finally put my mind at rest!

I think you will find the programme you are thinking of is Toms midnight garden. Why don't you try and buy the book.I have seen it in the shops. It was a lovely series. He used to go into the garden when the grandfather clock struck 12. I think he was staying with his uncle??? I only remember it vaguely and can't help on the statues! sorry!

Comment

I loved Tom's Midnight Garden and I read all the books. They were by Philippa Pearce and I think there were two or three different books in the series. Didn't Tom travel in time when he went out in to the garden at midnight? I have vague memories of him making friends with a girl from the past called Hatty
      Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
      http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

I might be really wrong...but I recall a show like this...and these big rocks moved around the garden at night. Haha, sounds weird...does this sound familiar to anyone?

Comment

Yes...i also remember something about rocks....and your right it does sound weird but it was a weird programme lol.

Comment

Are you sure it isn't "The Enchanted Castle"? The statues came to life in it.
            The book is available online for free here :
            http://www.literature.org/authors/ne...hanted-castle/

Comment

Thankyou..i will take a look..would any one know how i could find out if this is the programme i am looking for...i have tried many kids websites but have not had any luck! I am at my whitts end.

Comment

Well...FEDORAZZI.. I have got to say a very big thankyou...you are FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is the enchanted castle and not toms midnight garden as i first thought I have wondered about this programme for years and now i know finally what it is called.. thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou...
                I had forfotton all about the ugly wugly's lol. Dont suppose any one would know where i could get a copy of this on video or dvd? or am i asking too much now lol.

Comment

I have created a new blank entry on the website for The Enchanted Castle in case anyone wants to suggest a description for it. I never watched it personally so don't know anything about it.

http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memor...chanted-castle

Tammy - I'm not sure it ever was released on video or DVD but you could try keeping an eye on the eBay link on the page I just created. There's loads of copies of the book on there but I can't see the video.
                  Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
                  http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

I've just searched on some forums and it would seem to be fairly fruitless...the BBC have no plans to release it and it was shown as a drama around 20 years ago...I was pretty sure I did it at primary school as parrt of look and read, but I am yet to find any VCR copies - I reckon a really remote possibility is finding someone who used to be a primary school teacher back then (hoarding those 'valuable' teaching resources from back in the day!).

Comment

Working...
                    X