Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'take five' dave brubeck

Hi,

I cant for the life of me remember what this theme tune was from. It was on as I was growing up and I think it was the theme tune of some kind of factual program but my wife thinks it was a sitcom.

You can listen to it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

And its called:

'take five' by Dave Brubeck

Any help would be much appreciated as it's driving me crazy!!

Re: 'take five' dave brubeck

at first I thought it maybe the secret life of machines, but a quick youtube search seems to rule it out

could it have been "You Must Be The Husband". (1987-1988 bbc) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092490/
    Heather

Comment

Thanks Heather,

the secret life of machines dose indeed have a sort of remix of take five called 'The Russians are Coming'.

I coming up with 'You Must Be The Husband' my self but It just doesn't ring any bells. Maybe that was it but I cant seem to find any clips of the start of the program with theme tune running to prove it to my self.

Alex

Comment

I think it was on one of the BBC Colour trade test transmission films that were running till well into the 70s, but I can't quite remember which one. Possibly Evoluon or Giuessepina.

Comment

Originally posted by ubik View Post
          the secret life of machines dose indeed have a sort of remix of take five called 'The Russians are Coming'.
          I loved that programme. I remember sending off for the fact sheet, the only time I've done that if I remember correctly. I've probably still got it somewhere. I think I missed the second and third series because I left home and was trying to live without a TV for some reason. It seemed a really rebellious thing to do back then.

I am sure that for a short while there was a chocolate bar called Take Five and this tune was used in the advert, which had ballerinas dancing to the tune then eating the bars during a break - as if.

By an interesting coincidence with Brubeck and Russians this class tune by Donald Fagen mentions Brubeck. This is good for a bit of nostalgia.

Donald Fagen - New Frontier

Comment

I know this! I know this!

Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough, but I can confirm it was the theme to the sitcom 'You Must Be The Husband' starring Tim Brooke-Taylor and Diane Keen.
            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Look like that's the one then. I'll have to try and find a clip of the beginning then it will probably all fall in to place.

Thanks for all the help.

If anyone can post a link to the start of the program with music playing I would most grateful.

Alex

Comment

Hold your horses there. I think there was another programme with this theme tune. Because I recognise it. Yet I dont remember You must be the husband. So therefore think there is also another programme, which I think may have been some sort of satire show. I am looking into it anyhow. If I have any luck I wll post my findings.

Comment

I wasn't totally wrong with 'Evoluon', I found it on YouTube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMSdP_jxwC4
                  Around 30 seconds in there's music that is similar, but not the same one as posted in the OP. Oh well.

Comment

Mmmmmm......... Wow, Dave Bruebeck , and mention of Trade Test Films? Especially Evoluon? My faves!

Cool, "Straight from the fridge Daddyo!"

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
                      Mmmmmm......... Wow, Dave Bruebeck , and mention of Trade Test Films? Especially Evoluon? My faves!

Cool, "Straight from the fridge Daddyo!"
                      We're wandering off topic, but my favourite was Crown of Glass. We had glamorous holidays when I was little, my mum took me and my sister to Liverpool so we could ride on a boat. Then we went to the Metropolitan cathedral and apparently I was jumping up and down with excitement shouting loudly 'Crown of Glass! Crown of Glass!' because I'd seen it on TV. Luckily, no service was going on at the time. I was only four, so I don't actually recall this happening myself, fortunately, or I'd be more embarrassed.

Comment

We are not wandering off topic! Trade test films were played into 1973! And Crown of glass was one of my faves too! Cool Jazz track, and the work of Piper and Rentyens exploding before our eyes!

Comment

Working...
                        X