Your very petty pet hates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your very petty pet hates

People who say "US States" which is exactly like saying "United States states" - why do they need to implicate the word "states" twice? It's like saying "ITV Television".

Trying to find British news articles on the BBC News search engine which happens to contain the pronoun "us" and for obvious reasons, only finding American articles because the of the obvious acronym having exactly the same two letters - they could say "USA" or write "United States" in full to avoid confusion but for some reason, they hardly ever do that. For obvious reasons, we never referred to Anglia TV as ATV, did we?

Women who happen to have traditional men's names (for example, the blogger Jack Monroe) being referred to by surname only in news reports - it is like omitting the title "Princess" in Princess Michael of Kent's name. How on earth are supposed to assume that the person is female is they have a man's name and no title such as "Ms", "Mrs" or "Miss" is given?

BBC News that uses the words "Mum and Dad" instead of "Mother and Father", making headlines feel too much like Sun newspaper ones - I often can't take headlines too seriously when I see it written like that.

The word "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" - it sounds a bit too personal.

The word "autistic" being given to people with autism, especially those with Asperger Syndrome. I do wish that adjectives in this sense would not be used as it feels like negative labelling too much.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Another thing is the BBC News headlines shortening Plaid Cymru's name to just "Plaid". I know that Plaid is generically the Welsh word for party (and my Welsh dictionary confirms it), yet BBC News thinks that it is unique to the party's name, yet the fact that any UK party name with the word "party" when translated into Welsh, will also have the word Plaid in it. We don't refer to the Conservatives or Labour by just the word "Party" do we, but we do that equivalent in Welsh. I have to add that the Welsh are great people, you understand, and I even thought of moving there a few years back.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        I can add to that:

People who open crisps with the packet upside down - I don't know why they do that to be honest.
        Good point George, if they want to eat the bottom crisp first then they should show the correct etiquete and open the packet the right way up then remove all the top crisps so to easily enable the consumption of said crisp!
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

[QUOTE=tex;230660]
          Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, but people who moan about other people's children but make out their's are "little angels".

was on a plane last week and two rows in front was a family of four, the mother spent the whole flight shouting at the oldest child who was about 5-6 years old and who needed his gob stapling, worse was the baby who filled its nappy at least four times and stank out the whole plane, some people were close to vomiting it was so bad. Dad sat reading his newspaper for three hours and hardly spoke.
          I doubt if the baby could control it!!!!!

I well remember driving a bus, then for some reason, a terrific stench seemed to waft into the cab. Thinking it was an engine or air conditioning problem, I was about to stop at the next bus stop but the bell rang anyway. At the stop, a woman came next to the cab and explained she just needed to throw something in the bin. It turned out her baby had filled its disposable nappy, and she had changed it while the bus was still going. The stink was sickening. If I could have got away with telling her what I actually thought of her, I would have given her a mouth full in no uncertain terms.
          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
            Good point George, if they want to eat the bottom crisp first then they should show the correct etiquete and open the packet the right way up then remove all the top crisps so to easily enable the consumption of said crisp!

If it's a packet of Rolos where I would give my last one first, that would be a different matter.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

[QUOTE=marc;230760]

I well remember driving a bus, then for some reason, a terrific stench seemed to waft into the cab. Thinking it was an engine or air conditioning problem, I was about to stop at the next bus stop but the bell rang anyway. At the stop, a woman came next to the cab and explained she just needed to throw something in the bin. It turned out her baby had filled its disposable nappy, and she had changed it while the bus was still going. The stink was sickening. If I could have got away with telling her what I actually thought of her, I would have given her a mouth full in no uncertain terms.
              I remember being on a busy train when I noticed someone was changing a baby on one of the tables without any kind of changing mat. Not much smell but I just had to more away, fortunately I was getting off at the next station..
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

[QUOTE=marc;230760]

Now that is something that should have obviously been done inside a (ladies) toilet rather than on a bus - it's almost like a tramp or someone actually relieving themselves inside the vehicle which of course is distasteful of course. The breastfeeding angle is marginal to the baby changing issue but in a similar vein - although if I was a baby being fed, I probably wouldn't want to do it inside a toilet as it is the baby equivalent of having a meal is it not? "Oh, I just going into the gents to eat this sandwich"...

Can you imagine someone with Encopresis and cannot wait for the toilet while on a bus? OK, it's not a direct comparison but I assume that you get my point.

It reminds me of that Mr Bean episode where he takes the baby around the seaside theme park - he changes the baby because it needed to go of course, and the nappy that Bean takes off throws it in the air and lands on someone.
                Last edited by George 1978; 13-10-2018, 22:45.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                  I hate those YouTube sites that con you into clicking on them by using false titles so they're just a bloke giving his opinion on the subject backed with photos -- NO VIDEOS !!
                  Looking for a particular clip from your favourite movie or TV show and the only one is dubbed in another language. The worst being the ones dubbed in Russian where one person does the entire dialogue and talks over the original audio.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                    Looking for a particular clip from your favourite movie or TV show and the only one is dubbed in another language. The worst being the ones dubbed in Russian where one person does the entire dialogue and talks over the original audio.
                    Often these are made by pointing a phone camera at a TV rather than doing a rip from a DVD.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I was kinda miffed with the new style Nescafé coffee jars .. standard and decafe look remarkably similar first thing in the morning .. or in dim lighting

Sooooooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X