Does anyone remember vintage clothes shop, Covent Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone remember vintage clothes shop, Covent Garden

Does anyone remember the name of a vintage clothes shop in Covent Garden in the early 80's? It was on two floors and sold mainly second hand American clothing - baseball jackets, lumberjack shirts, 50's skirts etc.

Welcome to DYR 80sgirl - can't help you as I saw London for the first time c. '87-88.
    Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Flip

Hi 80's Girl,

I think the shop you're thinking about was called FLIP! I'm pretty sure of this and I've asked around the studio I work in and everyone's pretty much in agreement.
      I remember looking longingly at a multi-coloured baseball/college jacket and 2nd hand 501's (complete with holes and patches!)
      Infact I recall seeing BROS (dodgy boy band) outside FLIP! when they'd just broken onto the music scene and that would've been about1988.
      Hope this helps put you out of your misery!! =)

Cheers

Nightman

Comment

Shop in Covent Garden

The Retro shop in Covent Garden was called Flip:

They sold second hand Levis, Baseball jackets, etc..... Much of the stuff was over-battered and a bit expensive, but they had some really cool clothes.

I last went there in about 1984. It was, I think, in Long Lane (left turn out of the Tube station).

Can't remember any more than that.

Comment

Flip was a great shop,but pricey.
          always had an ad in Time Out magazine,I recall

Comment

Re: Does anyone remember vintage clothes shop, Covent Garden

There's still a FLIP! in Newcastle!
            "My Dad's taller than your Dad."

Comment

Don't know if its the same store, but I go to a vintage shop in Covent Garden which is called Rockit. Its fab! x
              sigpic

For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people

Comment

There was a Rockit in brighton too, think it may be closed now

Comment

Originally posted by Moomin Dave... View Post
                  There's still a FLIP! in Newcastle!

Is Flip still there??? I remember going to newcastle specially to go to flip! Must of been about 88/89. I thought that shop was SOOO cool!!
                  ...chilli...

Comment

Apparently, YES !!

http://www.flip-clothing.co.uk/
                    Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                    <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Originally posted by 80'sgirl View Post
                      Does anyone remember the name of a vintage clothes shop in Covent Garden in the early 80's? It was on two floors and sold mainly second hand American clothing - baseball jackets, lumberjack shirts, 50's skirts etc.
                      Hi 80's girl, i don't know about convent garden but i know there was a Flips in Certain Road, Old Street near Petticoat Lane did you ever visit there. Or do you know if they still exist anymore!!

Comment

Still one is Newcastle

http://www.flip-clothing.co.uk/index.htm

Comment

Hi there

I remember that shop well, I use to visit it when I was a fashion student in the 80s a really cool place to shop, there are lots of shops like that though now, something that was not common in the 80s like the online stores.

I love online shopping now and those websites that give good measurements make it easy to buy online!

Comment

I still have a Hawaiian shirt I bought in the Covent Garden flip many moons ago. It still fits and comes out sometimes for dress up parties.

I'm pretty sure it's this one:

By the looks of things they (Paradise Found) still make the same one!!!!

Comment

Flip was owned by Paul Wolf if l remmber Paul was from New York opened his 1st shop in the Kings Rd near the town hall and Ace and Sex.

His 1st warehouse was in East End and the warehouse had no electric or water when you used to buy wholesale it was in piles on floor, white palm beach jackets dry cleaned were £7.50. Used to sell them for £15 in Carnaby St good old 1970's. 2nd warehouse was in Curtain Rd near Liverpool St.

Used to buy G1 and A2 flying jackets for about £50.

Comment

Working...
                              X