'Rooms' - 70s daytime drama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Rooms' - 70s daytime drama

Does anyone recall this series? My memories are sketchy, but I think the twist in this daytime drama was that the episodes were live. It was set in a boarding house, (I think), and at the end of each episode, the camera would pull back and upwards to a long shot, revealing the studio sets.

I've Googled for information and searched in the forum, but come up with nothing. I'm pretty sure it was broadcast in the 70s on ITV.

Re: 'Rooms' - 70s daytime drama

Well, what a blast from the past that is! I remember watching this series on the odd occasion I bunked school. I've also googled this numerous times over the last few years and, sadly, failed to find any reference to the series. This post is the first mention of it I've found by anyone else.

If it was live as you suggest, then it's sad to think there may be no permanent recordings.

I vaguely remember this series was broadcast around the same time as General Hospital (which I understand was an ATV production between 1972 and 1979) - I also remember having a huge adolescent crush on Barbara Kellerman (Nurse Laura Hardy in unknown episodes, 1974) at about the same time as Rooms so perhaps this helps to narrow the time-frame to about 1974.

If anyone manages to dig out more info and, oh please, some old recordings, I'd be delighted to know about it.
    "What I used to do all night now takes me all night to do!"

Comment

Great to hear you remember this show, Wytchewoode

I too recall bunking off school (or being genuinely ill), and watching shows like General Hospital. 1974 seems about right to me. We must continue our search!

MB

Comment

Yes! I too used to watch "Rooms" when I was off sick (which I seemed to be quite often) around 1974/5. Even at the time it seemed very realistic as in dowdy. For some reason I seem to have a connection to Moody and Pegg in my mind - were some of the actors in both?
        "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Judy Cornwell and/or Derek Waring may well have been in 'Rooms'. I'm not quite sure. I also think an actress called Ann Curthoys may have been in it. (She was in The Tomorrow People). I'm still researching on the net, .....with no success as yet.

Comment

Well, this has sparked some memories. Let's hope that these will fuel some googlers and contribute.

Comment

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0169489/
              Hi - Although I have been on this website many times, I just registered to post this link - LOL... have any of you guys used the 'Internet Movie Database' for information on film and TV?... I used it all the time. It doesn't have much information about 'Rooms' but I have added a link

Comment

Originally posted by coxtwilightzone View Post
                http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0169489/
                Hi - Although I have been on this website many times, I just registered to post this link - LOL... have any of you guys used the 'Internet Movie Database' for information on film and TV?... I used it all the time. It doesn't have much information about 'Rooms' but I have added a link
                Thank you so much for that, cox!!

I do use IMDB from time to time but I'm sure the series wasn't listed the last time I looked. I was right about Ann Curthoys being in the cast. And there are a few other very familiar names listed, including Jill Gascoine!

Thanks again for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                  Thank you so much for that, cox!!

I do use IMDB from time to time but I'm sure the series wasn't listed the last time I looked. I was right about Ann Curthoys being in the cast. And there are a few other very familiar names listed, including Jill Gascoine!

Thanks again for the link.
                  Hi,

Thanks for that cox. Like Marine Boy, I checked IMDB on several occasions and there wasn't a mention of 'Rooms' so it's good to see it there. And the year I was spot on with the deduction = 1974. Memory not so bad for an old codger lol

Comment

Hi, yes, I recall the series very well. It was a twice weekly format, rather in the same way as the 1980's afternoon soap 'Gems' was produced. It was made by Thames TV and starred a few notable people such as Jan Francis and Jill Gascoine. I think each episode used to be just 30 mins long, and it made great viewing during the days I was off school during illness.

It was a simple plot - just stories about the various people who drifted through the rooms of a house: people who came and went and what revolved around them during their stay. It ran from 1974-77 and I'd love to see it again for its nostalgic value.

There is a link to it on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169489/

I'll bet all of those episodes are lost. I was very happy to know that NetWork have released the 1976-77 series 'The Crezz', which was very much about the people and their lives who lived in a Crescent in London. An early role for Nicholas Ball prior to becoming Hazell.

Comment

It exists complete, according to Lostshows

http://www.lostshows.com/default.aspx?search=rooms

Comment

I remember seeing it here in Australia but i don't remember when,I do remember liking it.

Comment

Jill Gascoigne was indeed in it and her colleague from the Gentle Touch too I think he was called William Marlowe. There was a young Yorkshire lass too who did well for a time. Cannot remember her name. I think Ian Redmond was in it too. He has done quite well. It was late 70s though. 77 I think.Don't think Moody and Pegg stars were in it though I may be wrong. I was 14 in 77.

Comment

Wow another show ive not heard of and ill see if i can find it.
                            Anything with jill was real good.

She was in some fairly gritty cop shows.

Originally posted by paul wild View Post
                            jill gascoigne was indeed in it and her colleague from the gentle touch too i think he was called william marlowe. There was a young yorkshire lass too who did well for a time. Cannot remember her name. I think ian redmond was in it too. He has done quite well. It was late 70s though. 77 i think.don't think moody and pegg stars were in it though i may be wrong. I was 14 in 77.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              Wow another show ive not heard of and ill see if i can find it.
                              Anything with jill was real good.

She was in some fairly gritty cop shows.
                              There was another programme called 'The Apartment' or ,'Apartments'.It was very shortlived and quite controversial,as there was a Gay couple in it and an old lady who loved Motorbikes.Did I dream this? Before anyone responds,I do not mean 'The Crezz'Rooms was good in a way.It had no signature tune,just doors slamming.

Comment

Working...
                              X