• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Mags

So does anyone remember these mags?
    Sinclair user
    Crash magazine
    I used to collect all the free tapes that came with them.
    I still have about 50 up in the attic.
    Does sound strange now but you had demo tapes of the newest games!!
    We would spend 5 to 10 minuts waiting for the tape to load just to be able to play maybe the first level of a game, which if we liked we had to buy the full program from the shops and not have it sent to us via a link!!!
    Also going off the computer subject, who remembers ' LOOK-IN ' comic/mag?
    I used to buy it when ever i could. It was a great little publication.

Re: Computer Mags

I remember 'Crash' well, as I had a ZX Spectrum, and used to play those demo tapes a lot. I was always most keen on the driving games (and still am to an extent).
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

yes i like the driving games but do not know why really?!! i guess it was as a child in the arcades seeing the big video games and wanting desperately to get behind the wheel.

Comment

Your Sinclair was the best of the Spectrum magazines.

And I remember Look In as well. It used to have a kind of intro-to-a-star interview on the back page, and for some reason under 'Likes' they always used to say 'Pain'. There must have been a lot of masochists in the world of 80s pop!

Comment

I used to read crash (you might be able to guess that from my avatar)

Here is crash online website, this will take you back!

http://www.crashonline.org.uk/
          sigpic

Comment

Me & my brother used to get Electron User, I still had most of them around at one time but they may have gone in a clearout.

One of my friends had Zzap 64! which was fun to read, especially the "Take on me" style pictures of the reviewers & the cheats section called PG's Tips, compiled by a Paul Glancy.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Thanks Paulos for the link, brought back some memories.
              I Had a stack of computer mags 'crash / Sinclair User' which I kept for years. Sadly I binned them all a few years ago as space was needed.

Comment

Did anybody try the type in programmes or type in the POKES (what we used to call cheats on the 8 bit computers) from the magazines or the usborne books?
                WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Zzap 64! I might have some of these in the loft?There was a couple of commodore 64 magazines i used to buy.
                  sigpic

Comment

I sold all my old crash mags on ebay there was quite a market for them at the time!
                    sigpic

Comment

I still keep a couple of copies of Crash (I won a mapping contest once), Zzap, PCG (Personal Computer Games) and a few other '80s computer mags so, every now and again, I can wallow in the glory that was the UK computer games industry in those days before big business came in and stomped on it.

Comment

Crash & Zzap!64 were the best - I used to love adventure games but was a bit rubbish at them and thought it was great when Crash used to publish cheats, maps or tips for a game I was stuck on (which was just about any I played.) I always thought Lloyd Mangram was real though!

Pride of place on my wall is this: Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0406a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	259865 - the original artwork for Zzap #35 - Click image for larger version

Name:	i35mar88.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	259864

Comment

In the early 80's after I first got a paper round and later started work full time I must of brought and sampled most of the general and specific spectrum computer mags out there.Had quite a stack of them.I used to like the games adverts with the wonderful images attached to them.The ones I liked the most were based around the fantasy genera,namely dungeons and dragons.

Comment

i remember crash well as i also had a speccy.
                            and yes i remember the free tapes that came with the mag.

what a great idea that was.

sadly i no longer have he mags.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Loved Your Sinclair and Crash, but my favourites were Personal Computer Games (PCG), Popular Computer Weekly, C & VG & Your Computing. Recently bought the complete (i think) collection of some of the early mags on E-bay

Comment

Working...
                              X