Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The walkers, the new seekers, Godley&Creme, the Cats, The buffoons, Small faces etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The walkers, the new seekers, Godley&Creme, the Cats, The buffoons, Small faces etc.

A couple of bands.

Re: The walkers, the new seekers, Godley&Creme, the Cats, The buffoons, Small faces e

Originally posted by bandbox17 View Post
    A couple of bands.
    I think this is satire.

Actually, of those you mention, how underrated are The Cats! Big favourites of the 1974 Holland World Cup squad, who used to listen to their songs on the way to matches (seriously).

Comment

Re: The walkers, the new seekers, Godley&Creme, the Cats, The buffoons, Small faces e

Godley & Creme's 'Wedding Bells' was one of those songs which was all over the radio at the start of the '80s. It's one of those songs I must admit to liking quite a lot. It's not one of my absolute favourites, but it's good.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Wedding Bells was good but not as good as Under Your Thumb or An Englishman in New York which I, bizarrely, remember seeing the video to on Saturday Superstore!

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
          Wedding Bells was good but not as good as Under Your Thumb or An Englishman in New York which I, bizarrely, remember seeing the video to on Saturday Superstore!
          I had to look An Englishman in New York up because I don't remember it. Apparently it was 1979 so it must have been Swap Shop rather than Saturday Superstore.

I remember Wedding Bells and and Under Your Thumb though. Also Cry, which only made it to number 19, yet I have seen the video so many times then and since.

Godley and Creme also directed the infamous Girls on Film video for Duran Duran. The TV version is a censored edit. I was always disappointed by it because the lyrics are so evocative - "See them walking hand in hand across the bridge at midnight..." A wasted opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Techno View Post

Godley and Creme also directed the infamous Girls on Film video for Duran Duran. The TV version is a censored edit. I was always disappointed by it because the lyrics are so evocative - "See them walking hand in hand across the bridge at midnight..." A wasted opportunity.
            They also directed the videos for Two Tribes and The Power of Love for Frankie Goes To Hollywood, I remember an intereview many years later with Holly Johnson along the lines of "Godley and Creme came in with their noses in the air saying 'we're going to do this and we're going to do that' and the whole thing became a circus, and the music we were writing was forgotten about."
            He was complaining that everything became 'let's look what the next Frankie video's going to be like' instead of 'let's hear what the new Frankie song is like', which is symptomatic of the 80s really. I remember he also dismissed the Power of Love video as a 'moving Christmas card' and that Christmas was not what the song was intended to be about at all - and yet it turns up on all the Christmas compilations.

Comment

They did Herbie Hancock's Rockit too which is not so bad:

Herbie Hancock - Rockit

Comment

Love the Walkers. Scott Walker has a magnificent voice. Along with Allan Clarke from the Hollies, Gene Pitney and Chris Farlowe, one of THE voices of the 1960s.
                The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

All these was great groups back in the day!! In particular I loved The Walker Brothers and "The Sun Aint Going To Shine Anymore", but The New Seekers are a personal fave from this era and Judith Durham - what a great voice she had "back in the day" and still in recent times too

I am not Australian by blood but I have relatives and family friends who emigrated there and are treat like Australian born and bread in their own right and hand on heart I can say Judith Durham is a true, true Australian Icon who truly truly loves the Country and is immensly proud of her roots - which is correct too in my opinion (and more so given her amazing talent and joy she has constantly given her many fans since the 1960s).

What an awesome, awesome group The New Seekers are - that is without any doubt what-soever!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                  X