Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matchbox Cars

Default Matchbox Cars

Lots of different cars to collect.The Die Cast toy brand was introduced to the market around 1953 and are still available to buy now. They are now owned by Mattel Inc. Many of the earlier models are now collectables and if presented in perfect condition and in their original packaging can bring high value to the owner.

More...

Default Re: Matchbox Cars

Im a regular buyer of old die cast toys,I may have a few too many to be honest but it dont stop me getting more.

Frame.
    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Me & brother had lots of these when we were young.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by frame View Post
    Im a regular buyer of old die cast toys,I may have a few too many to be honest but it dont stop me getting more.

Frame.
    do you collect corgi cars mate.
    they are worth quite a bit if in mint condition.
    of course you must have the packaging in top nick.
    no bits missing from the cars.
    and how many have you mate.
    and i bet you go to all the car boots,charity shops to find them.

Matchbox 75 - I'm not sure if it was because there were 75 different models, or the range was launched in 1975, but I remember all the cars having this on the box.

I actually used them as footballers because I didn't have Subbuteo! Two shoeboxes at either end of the pitch, a rolled up ball of paper and the cars lined up in proper formation. I had the more exotic looking cars, like the Hot Rod with go-faster stripes and the sports cars, playing the attacking positions, and the lorries and vans as solid defenders, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    how many have you
    Probably have over 1000,most are boxed away as Im building a model railway. I get most from boot sales and charity shops but have been using ebay for a while,its easier.
    I tend not to pay much as Im not an avid collector and dont go in for the mint boxed stuff.
    Heres a few I got from ebay last week for a few ...

Cheers,Frame.
    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

I used to have loads when I was younger. Had a Hot wheels track as well that I used to run down the stairs. When they became worn as a result of many multi car pile ups, my Mum used to put the old car back in its box and wrap it up before I went to bed and the next morning when I opened it, a shiny new car. Genius. It was a great way of ensuring that the house didn't become over run because my Dad had a habit of managing to stand on anything that was left lying around.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Here's a selection of cars from 1976, which is slap bang my era for collecting these things: http://www.2e0zak.co.uk/mb1976.htm

Of the ones I had, I think my favourites were MB 9 A.M.X. Javelin, MB 16 Badger (because it had a radar that twizzled round as the car travelled), MB 43 Dragon Wheels and MB 45 B.M.W. 3.0 C.S.L. (which, in my football games, would obviously be Dutch, as it was orange!).

Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by stockportyears View Post
    Matchbox 75 - I'm not sure if it was because there were 75 different models, or the range was launched in 1975, but I remember all the cars having this on the box.
    There were always 75 models in the range. I used to collect these a lot and remember playing with my Matchbox cars as a child. Since then I've collected a few mint condition (or as near as I can get) as models, although when I buy models these days they tend to be new models of old cars of the '60s, '70s and '80s - Corgi Vanguards and Oxford Diecast models mainly.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Looking at the 1976 collection on the website, I'm puzzled as to why the Concrete Mixer isn't there, I definitely had one of those. Like the one with the radar on the top, I liked the concrete mixer as it would twizzle round mixing the concrete as it travelled along the floor. I just like twizzly things at that age.