Matchbox Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchbox Cars

Lots of different cars to collect.The Die Cast toy brand was introduced to the market around 1953 and are still available to buy now. They are now owned by Mattel Inc. Many of the earlier models are now collectables and if presented in perfect condition and in their original packaging can bring high value to the owner.

More...

Re: Matchbox Cars

Im a regular buyer of old die cast toys,I may have a few too many to be honest but it dont stop me getting more.

Frame.
    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Me & brother had lots of these when we were young.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by frame View Post
        Im a regular buyer of old die cast toys,I may have a few too many to be honest but it dont stop me getting more.

Frame.
        do you collect corgi cars mate.
        they are worth quite a bit if in mint condition.
        of course you must have the packaging in top nick.
        no bits missing from the cars.
        and how many have you mate.
        and i bet you go to all the car boots,charity shops to find them.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Matchbox 75 - I'm not sure if it was because there were 75 different models, or the range was launched in 1975, but I remember all the cars having this on the box.

I actually used them as footballers because I didn't have Subbuteo! Two shoeboxes at either end of the pitch, a rolled up ball of paper and the cars lined up in proper formation. I had the more exotic looking cars, like the Hot Rod with go-faster stripes and the sports cars, playing the attacking positions, and the lorries and vans as solid defenders, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            how many have you
            Probably have over 1000,most are boxed away as Im building a model railway. I get most from boot sales and charity shops but have been using ebay for a while,its easier.
            I tend not to pay much as Im not an avid collector and dont go in for the mint boxed stuff.
            Heres a few I got from ebay last week for a few ££...

Cheers,Frame.
            "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

I used to have loads when I was younger. Had a Hot wheels track as well that I used to run down the stairs. When they became worn as a result of many multi car pile ups, my Mum used to put the old car back in its box and wrap it up before I went to bed and the next morning when I opened it, a shiny new car. Genius. It was a great way of ensuring that the house didn't become over run because my Dad had a habit of managing to stand on anything that was left lying around.
              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Here's a selection of cars from 1976, which is slap bang my era for collecting these things: http://www.2e0zak.co.uk/mb1976.htm

Of the ones I had, I think my favourites were MB 9 A.M.X. Javelin, MB 16 Badger (because it had a radar that twizzled round as the car travelled), MB 43 Dragon Wheels and MB 45 B.M.W. 3.0 C.S.L. (which, in my football games, would obviously be Dutch, as it was orange!).

Happy days.

Comment

Originally posted by stockportyears View Post
                  Matchbox 75 - I'm not sure if it was because there were 75 different models, or the range was launched in 1975, but I remember all the cars having this on the box.
                  There were always 75 models in the range. I used to collect these a lot and remember playing with my Matchbox cars as a child. Since then I've collected a few mint condition (or as near as I can get) as models, although when I buy models these days they tend to be new models of old cars of the '60s, '70s and '80s - Corgi Vanguards and Oxford Diecast models mainly.
                  "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Looking at the 1976 collection on the website, I'm puzzled as to why the Concrete Mixer isn't there, I definitely had one of those. Like the one with the radar on the top, I liked the concrete mixer as it would twizzle round mixing the concrete as it travelled along the floor. I just like twizzly things at that age.

Comment

I had many of the Regular Wheel Lesney's as a kid. I started collecting diecast models back in the 1990s and have a fairly respectable collection (mostly Hot Wheels) but here are a few of my Matchbox

My most recent acquistion at a diecast collector's show

Flying Bug and Mini-Ha-Ha

Comment

I had that little blue and white artic! Seeing that just bought back a lot of memories as it was the 1st Matchbox I ever had!

Comment

Originally posted by stockportyears View Post
                          Looking at the 1976 collection on the website, I'm puzzled as to why the Concrete Mixer isn't there, I definitely had one of those. Like the one with the radar on the top, I liked the concrete mixer as it would twizzle round mixing the concrete as it travelled along the floor. I just like twizzly things at that age.
                          I've got the exact same Cement Mixer too. Its based on Matchbox's 'Rolamatics' 'Badger' - it had a cog inside it that was connected to one of the back wheels that had a peg on it, like in an old windmill or water wheel, when it was pushed the radar atop would go round and round...However, the Cement Mixer which used the majority of the same mold didn't have the 'rolamatic' feature, you just spun the drum yourself and can tilt the drum to 'empty' it...

I like old Matchbox and Corgi - so durable and well built. I'm like Frame - not really an avid/mint collector but sometimes have lucked out getting really nice condition ones for a few quid...I really liked the 'suspension' in the old Matchbox cars too. Modern Matchbox by Mattel are nice and I have a lot of those too but its a shame they mainly have plastic base plates and no 'suspension', Vanguards are like Dinky's and Corgi's of earlier years in terms of quality but the prices they sell for is ridiculous - same goes for Oxford Diecast - they used to be cheaper but now they seem to have developed delusions of grandeur...

I've got lots of Matchbox/Corgi and I do actually like buying them in playworn condition, as long as the wheels aren't pranged - easily done with the mag wheels superfast cars they did in the 60s - 70s...you don't have to be so precious with them then. One of my favourites is the superfast version of the Morris 1100, even has a driver and an Alsatian or Collie dog sticking his schnoz out of the rear window...I did also go through a phase of buying modern Hot Wheels for their quirkiness but nothing really beats old Matchbox or Corgi - I look at Corgi's current range for kids and its a far cry from their glorious past...in short its rubbish...at least some of us can buy cheap vintage ones of better quality - my Dad always remarked at the 'weight' of the small cars as a marque of quality too...

Comment

Btw, Frame - how do you maintain and keep clean an outdoor model railway? Looks like thats what your building?

Comment

I can remember having a round motorised track mat with a magnetic arm thingy, you attached a Manet to the front wheels of a hot wheels car,hit the on switch and tried to steer the car round the canyons....

Comment

Working...
                              X